Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Monday, February 2, 2009

February 2, 2009

I have to say this before I forget it is t funny. Marcus has always called me Princess for years. Well here lately he has a new name he has been calling me, his Chia Pet & the picture below will show you why.....
Today's labs
Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
24 Jan---144-----3.3----2700---------8.4----------34----------------N/A
25 Jan---145-----5.9----4320---------9.0----------28----------------N/A
26 Jan---146-----4.5----3100---------9.1----------37------------N/A
28 Jan---148-----2.7----1100---------10.6----------64------------N/A
30 Jan---150-----2.8----1000---------10.4----------85------------N/A
2 Feb---153-----36.4----31700-------10.6-------131------------N/A

This is the first day I have been at home "alone"...well I guess I am not really alone Spike is here with me. I woke up at 5am with a throbbing headache again. I popped 2 Tylenol & 5 hours later it is pretty much gone. I am staying pretty hydrated throughout the day so I am not sure that is what is causing the headaches, although I do sweat a lot at night & a little bit during the day.

Zack was in a a fussy mood before school, I asked him to have a white day & he said he would, but I don't know there was something rotten brewing in him so we will have to wait & see. Paige's bus comes at 7am so she is always the first one up & put the door. After Katie put Zack on the bus I took her & Brandon & dropped them off at school then it was off to the lab. Check out those numbers today! I think it's safe to say I can stop taking the Neupogen shots. Hopefully my numbers will hold out until Wednesday & I can get the Bone Marrow Biopsy out of the way. My Neutraphils are going to drop I just don't know how fast. They are extremely high at the moment along with my White Blood Cells. The last round I had my numbers seemed to yo yo a bit just not quite this high. I don't know the science behind it but given I may still have some infection running through my body I will take the high over the low numbers any day.

Spike & I played a little bit this afternoon. He is getting a little antsy when you take him out he does not always want to come back in right away. We used to be able to entice him with "scooby snacks" but the luster of the treat is not as strong as the call of the wild here lately. He has yet to roam further than the neighbors yard but we have a very busy state route in front of our house & that worries me. He is still a pup so I hope we can find something to get him back on track.

The main event in the Vest house tonight is... parents night for Paige's Cheerleading so we have to go up to the Middle school for a little while & then walk her across the court. Brandon & Paige both have about 3 weeks left in their sports. I think everyone is ready for a break. It has been a long season this year with me being sick. Marc & I usually go to all Brandon's Wrestling meets, I only made it to one this year. Hopefully by the next sports season, football I think, I will be better & we can get back to the normal.


The 445 Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron is hosting a Blood Drive in honor of MSgt. Sandi Golden-Vest on Saturday, Feb 7, 2009 from 8:00am-1:00pm.

Site: American Legion Post 526
526 Legion Lane
Fairborn, OH 45324
Site phone: 878-3831

Contact on Arrival: Major Kimm Sandusky (1-513-678-2715 ) MSgt Joseph
Drake (George Copfer, Post Commander )

While you are waiting you can become a Bone Marrow Donor as well, no appointment is necessary for this & there is no cost associated becoming a registered Bone Marrow Donor on this date at this location.

Beginning registration for the blood drive is 8:00am. Appointments are recommended; blood donors are asked to make an appointment by going to our website: www.donortime.com click on Find a Drive and use sponsor code: 986 Last Registration: 12:50pm
***Community Blood Center will provide juice and cookies and a t-shirt to all
blood donors.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Hey girl! This is Dave's sister, Connie. Long time, no see! Your grandma gave me your website addy and let me know what's going on. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Give me a yell sometime, my addy is: tcgraham@woh.rr.com

-Connie (Poynter) Graham

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
Yes!!! I love those numbers!! I just hope you're feeling better too. That's too funny that Marc calls you Chia because that's what I call Dennis when he's needing a hair cut. I'm glad to hear that the tylenol helps take away the headaches. You & Marc need to think about getting Spike neutered before spring, it will calm him down. If you wait too long it may not have an affect on his behavior at all. I hope Zack came home with a white day & good luck to Paige tonight!! You guy's be careful traveling & have fun at the event. Take care Babe, I love you!
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi honey, i was thinking your bone marrow thing was friday.the numbers look better so maybe the blast count will be great too.hopefully the headaches were from the shots.maybe today you can have some quiet time and rest before your busy night tonight.tis weekend has been a blur.school was closed friday ,saturday i don't even remember.saturday was my brother tom's 69th birthday.we saw him at church sunday.hard to believe next year he will be 70.guess that means i'm getting older too.image that! we watched the game sunday till it seemed i was jinking my team so i left the room.the cat bit through my left hand sunday,the same one that bit my toe the day i came to the hospital. i decided i needed a tetanus shot.jess started throwing up at 4am.,steve cut his hand and was in er getting stitches at noon, and i was in urgent care at 3pm getting the shot. today was just one of those days.lol i hope you had a wonderful evening.take care. keep an eye on your 4 legged child, that is a busy road.i love you bunches.love,aunt bonnie

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!