Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Saturday, February 7, 2009

February 7, 2009


The 445 Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron is hosting a Blood Drive in honor of me, MSgt. Sandi Golden-Vest today Saturday, Feb 7, 2009 from 8:00am-1:00pm. Walk-in’s are welcome!

Site: American Legion Post 526
526 Legion Lane
Fairborn, OH 45324
Site phone: 878-3831

Contact on Arrival: Major Kimm Sandusky (1-513-678-2715 ) MSgt Joseph
Drake (George Copfer, Post Commander )

While you are waiting you can become a Bone Marrow Donor as well, no appointment is necessary for this & there is no cost associated becoming a registered Bone Marrow Donor on this date at this location.

Beginning registration for the blood drive is 8:00am. Please come out & donate if you can.
***Community Blood Center will provide juice and cookies and a t-shirt to all
blood donors.

Yesterday's labs
Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
24 Jan---144-----3.3----2700---------8.4----------34----------------N/A
25 Jan---145-----5.9----4320---------9.0----------28----------------N/A
26 Jan---146-----4.5----3100---------9.1----------37------------N/A
28 Jan---148-----2.7----1100---------10.6----------64------------N/A
30 Jan---150-----2.8----1000---------10.4----------85------------N/A
2 Feb---153-----36.4----31700--------10.6---------131------------N/A
4 Feb---155-----3.9----????----------9.9---------160------------N/A
6 Feb---157-----3.2----1500------10.0-------190------------N/A

I am sorry I was unable to post yesterday, I had a really bad headache & my body was aching badly all over but especially in my hip. The resting MUGA tests seemed to go well but took forever. I thought I had one of those tests before but after going through it I was wrong. They put an IV in my arm, drew blood, then they mixed it with radiation & injected it back in my arm. They performed an EKG & then waited about 30 minutes, then they remove all but 3 of the leads. There is a big metal container with a camera inside in the shape of a plate. They put you in 3 different positions to take 3 pictures of the heart. From what I could see on the monitor it was just a bunch of tiny dots that went into a white blur so I do not know how they read it. We got out of the Ross Heart Hospital about noon.

Marc took me to get some lunch & then we headed to Madison County Hospital to get my labs drawn. After that we picked up Brandon & Katie from school. Here's a news flash I forgot to tell you about the other day. Brandon did not get to wrestle in his meet on Thursday. When the referee’s did his weigh in & body inspection they found a spot on the back of his neck that looks like it could be ringworm. So yesterday I took him to see his pediatrician & although it looks like it could be dry skin she said that the pattern of it & coloration could be ringworm so she put him on a prescription just in case. The SCOL District Tournament is on the 14th so he should be cleared up by then.

Here is what you have all been waiting for...I got my results back from the Bone Marrow Biopsy & I am very happy to report that there is 1% Blast Cells in my Bone Marrow & no signs of Leukemia! We could not have asked for better results. I questioned my Neutraphil count again as it appears it is still dropping but since it is above 1,000 we are still ok. They also told me that the pumping action of my heart is at 64% & it needed to be above 50% so everything is good to start my Maintenance Chemotherapy on Monday.


Thank you Aunt Sue & Uncle David for the Cheryl Cookies. The kids & I did not want to wait until Valentine's Day so we dug in not to mention they were a wonderful surprise & a nice treat to celebrate the good news that we received from the James!

This morning Katie let Spike out to potty & there is a skunk that lives under my neighbors shed... well the skunk was out I guess & Spike went for it & got sprayed in the face. Poor Katie let Spike back in the house not realizing it & Marc hurried up & got him back outside but the house has "ode de skunk" smell now. Zack thought the whole thing was cool & wants to see the skunk & Marc wants to shoot the skunk. I think it is the same skunk that got Coral, the Chocolate lab we used to have, a few times. Marc used some white vinegar & dishwashing liquid on Spike to try & tame the smell.

Here is a picture of Paige that I took at her Basketball game Thurseay night.

It is forty degrees outside already today, talk about a heat wave. It is about time it warmed up around here. I am feeling a lot better today then I did last night but I am still a little shaky, I did not get out of bed last night except to eat dinner.

Thank you everyone for being so supportive & your prayers. I know I say this all the time, but it is true we could not get through all of this without you. I will try to update again on Sunday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there! I am so glad to hear that you are leukemia free!! Hope that you are feeling well! Take care Betty Lorraine

Unknown said...

hi honey, praise the lord.our prayers were heard and answered.i am so thrilled. i know you have more things to go thru ,but i believe you have made it over the hump. hopefully the next step will be completed with ease and with the results that the drs. believe will come.i am glad there were cookies there to celebrate with.i hope brandon is better so he can wrestle.take it easy this weekend and enjoy your good news. we love you bunches.love, aunt boniie yea!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi!
THAT IS AWESOME!
I can't wait to share with my church, they have been praying for you:)

Talk to you soon!
Paula

Aunt Lynn said...

Hey Sandi,
I'm so glad you're feeling better & the results of the tests were good, yes!! Hope Brandon gets better & gets to wrestle. Enjoy your weekend, I love you!
Aunt Lynn

Anonymous said...

I just read this.....THANK GOD...and THANK GOD !!!! Misty

Debra said...

That is awesome! God does hear and answer prayers! I did make it to the blood drive yesterday and made my donation. I will be sure to follow up and make sure you get credit for it. ;-)

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!