Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 8, 2008

Hi Everyone,

Happy birthday to me, I am 34 today! I have contacted most of you or asked others to contact you for me but in case anyone was missed I will give a little background & the current update:

After several months of not feeling well, I made an appointment for a physical. My chest kept hurting, I was getting palpitations & short of breath upon any physical activity. Marcus threatened to take me to the ER so I broke down and made an appointment with a Cardiologist last Wed, I received a stress test & was on a 24 hour heart monitor.After working that afternoon from 1-9 at the base I went to Madison County Hospital to have my blood work drawn at 10:30pm.

Long story short after and urgent call from the cardiologist to every Vest in London at 1:00 AM he got Marc's dad to come over & wake us up & call him. When I did he told me to report to the Emergency Room (my hemoglobin was 4 & my platelet level was 1400- this is very very low, so after several hours waiting in the ER I was admitted to the Mount Carmel West that night 7 into early Thursday morning. After several tests (my arms look like a heroin drug user from all the blood draws & transfusions) , the preliminary diagnosis from a Oncologist/Hematologist is Leukemia.

Wow we were not expecting that!
I got out of the hospital around midnight on Friday. I planned to go back to work today but I am going to try to go in tomorrow instead. (I wanted to give my body one more day to recover & in reality I may have been pushing myself to much) regardless I am feeling a lot better now . The doc said I was running on 1/3 of the blood my body needed & my body was overcompensating for it but it got to that point where it could not keep up. The final tally was 6 units of blood & 3 units of platelets.

Wed is going to be a difficult day for the family, we will receive the results of the bone marrow biopsy ( I strongly recommend if you never have to get one do not volunteer for it, it is extremely painful) , the specific type, prognosis, treatment plan and possibly another blood transfusion.

I know that no matter what I am going to have good days & bad days through this but I plan for the good to out way the bad. I have never laid down & took anything so this will be no different. We are being very positive & hoping for the best. I still want to work when I can ( I need to for may sanity, it would drive me nuts to lay around & do nothing & everything I do at work can be done from my desk & phone for the most part) , so I do not want to go off on disability if I do not have to. Thank you for all of the cards & prayers, we will need continued support through this difficult time. As my husband Marcus said I am, very sick but I am not dead, this is a bump in the road pushing us down a path most people do not have to travel but we will get through it. Marcus has been wonderful through this & I know he will need lots of support as well.

If you want updates I will send one out this Friday since we will know a lot more by then & more than likely monthly after that unless there is something major between now & then

Thank you,
Sandi

4 comments:

ben&tam said...

hey girl .just wanted you to know we are all 4 praying everyday and we know you are going to beat this.. we love you ..

Unknown said...

Hi Sandi: I just wanted to give you my thoughts and best wishes. You are a strong person who with Gods blessing will endure what is necessary to recover from this condition. My thoughts and prayers go with you.
God bless,
Dale Palmer

Anonymous said...

hey you get better or i'll kick your ass. jk. hey its holden just thought you should know that i pray for you and yours everyday. anything you need you let me know. i know you'll pull through this. you should get on myspace its easy to make an account im vintage holdonholden come find me. just know i miss you and you were such an inspiration to me to be a stubborn ass and not give into "the man". i love you for being you. i will come see you soon so keep your head up+ i gotta c this rooster in person . ttyl holden

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi,
Just wanted to say hi and tell you that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong. You can beat this!
Take care,
Barb Hoffman

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!