Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Monday, September 22, 2008

September 21, 2008







My hemoglobin got down to 7.9 so I got 2 units of blood today along with another bag of platelets since they were around 7 also. I guess that means the Chemo is doing what it is supposed to. Marc got to go ride with the club today down to Ohio Caverns, I am sure it was a much needed retreat. Donnie rode my bike since his forward controls broke, I told Marc to make sure Donnie blows my carbs out.

Dad made it up for a visit, it was good to see him, I know he was not comfortable seeing me like this though. MSgt Drake & his wife Desiree also came up to see me. Among other things Joe gave me his Air Force Marathon Medal which got my tear ducts rolling, I didn't want to take it from him, but I knew he wouldn't let me refuse it either. Maybe next year I can do the 5k with them, well see. I was able to go outside for about 20 minutes before everyone left, the weather was so warm, I would not have known that from looking out the window.

I have been real restless & having a hard time getting comfortable in the bed, they gave me an oxycodone for pain & an ambien later to help me sleep & needless to say I woke up because I had to pee but it was already to late, now that sucked!!! I won't be doing that cocktail anymore.

Tomorrow is the Blood Drive at ORW, I am so happy they are doing one. I hope there is a good turn out the blood banks are all running real low.

I love reading every one's comments on the blog it gives me something to check during the day. So please keep them coming, I don't feel so alone in this fight with all your support.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mom
just dropping by to say "hey" before i go t school
i hope your visit with papa was good.
well i'll talk to you later. have a good day and i love you


Paigey

Unknown said...

good morning sweetie hope your day goes love aunt bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe, on the way to take Brandon to the doctor. Hope you had a good night, Jan is here already and painting up a storm. Zack had discovered a game he likes on the computer so this monring was a chore getting him to eat cereal, bacon and toast...I can't forget the milk....this was his request for breakfast....when I wasn't looking the little turkey pitched the toast in the trash. I just saw it as I was taking the garbage out !!!! Kate ate her usual three eggs and milk.....Paige had grapefruit and nineteen million oatmeal bars ( not really that many)..hope you have a good day, you look good for being so ill kiddo. I'll talk to you soonly....take care...love you, Misty.

nicholer said...

Hey Sandi,
We miss you around here, those plans might get dusty if you aren't here so I'm going to keep 'em dusted for when you get back! :)
I'm keeping you and your family in my prayer list. I'm glad you have a lot of love and support from so many people in your life. But if you need anything, I would be proud to be on that long line of folks you have to call on. I plan to get up there to see you when it is ok to do so. Hang in there Rooster, and we will keep your seat warm for you here!
Nichole at work (in case you know more than one :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sandi,

Did I read what you actually did... naw, that can't be Sandi! Hope all is well otherwise. This is the first opportunity I had to get online...since WPAFB blocked the site. I can tell you're keeping your sense of humor.

I like the leather!
VAL

Anonymous said...

Hey Girly,
It was nice to actually see you in a pic with your visitors. I'm glad you have so many people that care about you. I just wish I could be there too. And, just so you know you do not look like you have put on any wieght yet. So, don't let that worry you. Bob said if he would turn out to be a bone marrow match for you, you can have anything he's got that you need. We all continue to pray and hope for the very best for you Sandi....Love & miss you bunches.

Anonymous said...

I haven't figured this thing out quite yet that previous comment was from Aunt Lynn. It asks for my password everytime and I guess I can't remember what one I used so it's anonymous....lol, Sorry!!!

KSnow said...

Hey Sandi,
Just checking in to say, "Hi!" and that I am thinking about you. Nice job with all the pics!
I had never blogged before...so you're "my first". :o)(I always knew that you would get me into something! - haha)
BTW - liked the bike picture...nice....I used to have a red Suzuki Savage so your pic made me think about it.
Chicago weather nice....so far. Leaves are beginning to change here. I am getting in to a job search now. Thanks for getting me "linkedin". I look there from time to time to see if anything pops up.
Your pictures tell the story of a lot of love and support around you. Know that I am thinking about you.....Kathy

Pixie said...

Happy to see u r getting some visits in with family & friends. U look good for a sickie. It was nice Sunday bet it felt good when u went outside. We got to ride, we just went by ourselves sometimes it is nice!! U and the family are in our prayers everyday. Have a good day tomorrow. Luv Ya!

Grace/Betsey said...

Good Morning Sweetie!!
It's 2:46 am, and once again I cannot sleep!! So, I thought, I'll get up and write Sandi!!
I saw Misty, Katie, Brandon and Zack yesterday. Zack was eating a bowl of cereal and watching a movie that he was totally engrossed in, Brandon was playing the drums on guitar hero (I think) and Katie was watching him. They all seemed in good spirits, Katie even gave me a big smile, and of course, a hug and kiss from Zack. I also got a piece of cake from Misty, and one to bring home, man, that's some good stuff!!!
The front hallway looks beautiful, it just really glows, can't wait for you to see it.
I rode for a little bit last evening, just enough to clear the cob webs out of my head, for some reason I really needed that. Sunday was good riding, but of course, it just wasn't the same without you. I'm used to riding behind you!! I enjoyed riding next to Thumper, I emiailed her yesterday and thanked her for not being 'ascared' to ride next to me!! We all missed you! Everyone went down into the caverns, I did not. There's something about being underground that REALLY bothers me!
Paul and I are doing well, he had wind damage to his house so he has been busy fighting with the insurance adjusters. Hopefully he got it all straightend out last night.
Well, I guess that's about it for me, I'll be down to see you as soon as payday gets here!! This wedding is keeping me pretty broke!
Call me if you need me. I love you
Betsey/Grace

Anonymous said...

hey sandi,, just starting to figurethis out lololi thinklolollwill have to teach your dad how you doing girl ??man know prays are going up im in shock over here..your dad and i send our love hugs and kisses ok now lets see if i do this and you get it lolo take care sandi loveya lisa

Anonymous said...

lololomgg sandi im still stilllil lost know not puter wise either lolololwaswanting to send you somepicslolol lost lollooking love ya lisa

Aunt Lynn said...

Morning Babe, Hope your day goes well, just up getting ready for work and checkinf on you. It is getting cooler here now and windy as can be for the past 2 days. I'm really not looking forward to winter!! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and Dennis sends his love also. If we come into some money I'm coming home to see you, I'm praying we do as well as for you, we love you Sandi. I'll check in on you after work, hope you have a good day, love you bunches.

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!