Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Tuesday, September 30, 2008

September 29, 2008

No infusions the Platelets dropped to 21 which is not to bad & my White Blood Cell Count went from .8 to .9.

I was very tired today, I think the Chemo has started to catch up with me a little bit. I stayed in bed until breakfast came & got back in bed afterwards. I made myself get up & change my bed around 2pm. It took forever, almost an hour, I started to sweat & had to keep sitting down. I got my clothes out for a shower & got my arm wrapped when my mouth started watering & I felt real nauseous. I asked for a pill since my arm was wrapped the nurse wasn't gone a minute & I puked my guts up. I filled up the bottom of the trash can with tomato soup & orange juice. Do you got a nice visual yet...LOL it was soooo nasty.

I was very wore out after that but I felt so nasty I went ahead & brushed my teeth & took a shower. I laid down until 10pm but would not let myself sleep. I knew if I fell asleep during the day I would be up all night & the time goes too slow at night.

Marcus is sick. His nose will not stop running he sounds like Bozo the Clown on the phone :)
I told him DO NOT come see me. He is beating himself up, I told him to get well & get over it, there is nothing he can do & I can get my moral support over the phone. Betsey called & she is sick too so I told her DO NOT come up until she is sure she is over it. She was going to call Katie, since she cannot bring her up now. If Kim brings her girls up this week I will see if Katie can come with them.

Zack & Misty's Birthday is Friday. Can you believe Zack will be 6? How old will Misty be... I'll never tell:)

News Flash, My head was shaved last night. When I got out of the shower there was a bit of hair in the drain, but when I brushed it, the brush was full... I put the clippers on 3 and went to town. The Primary Care Attendant (PCA) stayed in to make sure I did not cut myself & then she cleaned up the back a little. I cleaned up the hair that was in my bed I did not realize how much had fell out before I got the shower. I did not want the shock of huge handfuls falling out at once. It was just better to do it on my terms. Needless to say I am not quite a bald eagle yet but I look a little like GI Jane.

Paula Parker is coming up to see me in the morning plus I get the Post Chemo - Day 14 Bone Marrow Biopsy tomorrow to see if we got it in remission. It should take between 48 & 72 hours to get the results back so keep your fingers crossed. The Doc seems to think it will be gone so I hope so!

8 comments:

ben&tam said...

hey girl,
my fingers are crossed for ya!! i know the doc is right and you will be in remission.. cant wait to see you miss GI sandi.. lol . nothing much going on here today.. i get the call today to find out if i got my job at national city.. but scared cause the bill did not pass. but i guess if we go into depression then all business will close. but on a lighter note.. ron richmond is getting a motorcycle . he has been looking at a goldwing. he said he has wanted one for a long time.. i think its cool.

i have been looking for you a rooster on a motorcycle and to all avail cannot find one.. its tickin me off too.. i thought you could find anything on the net.. but i am gonna keep searchin..

well i am outta here to get katrina going for school.

later girly,
tam

Aunt Lynn said...

Morning GI Sandi,
Sorry all those drugs are taking a toll on you but hopefully the docs are right and you'll be in remission. Hope Marcus & everyone gets better soon. Happy Birthday to Zack & Misty, Ivy's Birthday is saturday....never realized they were a day apart. I can't believe how big all the kids are getting, how time flys and we all get older! I hope you have a better day and I'll be thinking and praying for you to get the results we all want for you.

I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe...I'm so sorry you are starting to get really sick !!!! I bet you look beautiful with little or no hair. Like I said, it will probably grow back red !!!! I Put dinner on the stove last night and retreated to my bedroom...the change in the weather is starting I had to be on my machine last night for the first time in a long time. I caught Spike trying to pee in the kitchen this morning so I picked him really fast and took him outside....I caught him in time so I think he got the picture ! I told him this morning we were going to have to come to an understanding because today I have asthma and can't stand outside with him forever.....he looked at me as if to say, "whanna bet". Zack was very good this morning....he looks in his lunch box everyday before he leaves to see what I packed for him. This morning he said to me "Grandma you didn't give me any junk food", so we settled on a cookie to be added to his box. ha...he is so funny. I was going to fix a roast and mashed potatoes today for you but it looks like Marcus won't feel like eating and I'm not sure if you would or not and noone to take it to you anyway....so let me know Sweetheart !!! Ron Richmond needs a motorcycle like he needs a hole in the head......( just between you and me........)I bet you will be in remission, I'll just bet you will !!! You hang in there Honey, I think of you all the time, spring will be here soonly !!! Thanks "Aunt Lynn !!! " Much love, Misty

Pixie said...

Hey Rooster,
Mmmmm... u give a great visual! (Nasty) I'm praying and have my fingers crossed!
It'll be alright!
Just remember bald is beautiful!
Just gives u an excuse to wear some awesome dewrags and ball caps. I bet we can find some good ones. How is Mr. Crow doin? (That's what the boys called the rooster.)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZACK & MISTY!
Luv Ya Sis! Pixie & Oatmeal

Anonymous said...

Mom-

Hey...I heard you're sick. Are you feeling well? I wanted to come see you , but no one is feeling good. But that's alright, I don't mind at all.

I can always see you some other time. I hope you feel better.

(Waves to you and smiles)

Grace/Betsey said...

Hi Sweetie.........
Yes, it's official, I'm sick. UGH!! But I won't complain because you my friend, are going through much more that a runny nose and a cough. I'm sorry that I couldn't be there with you while you felt so bad, it's the Mom in me. My kids say that one of their best memories when the were little was me holding their hair back when they threw up and wiping their forehead with a wet wash cloth. I wish I could have done that for you. :(
I'm so sorry that I can't bring Katie down this week, maybe this weekend, I hope!!
I just got off the phone with Misty, she isn't beeling well at all. Her asthma is really kicking her but. I noticed that I was also having problems with my breathing today. I got some medicine and am going to curl up on the couch for the rest of the evening. Paul said he's stop by on his way home from work to see if I need anything, the least he can do since I got this CRAP from him!! (kidding).

I'm so sorry about your hair....I guess we knew it was coming but I was so hopeful!! But......if that bone marrow biopsy comes back the tells us that you are in remission, loosing the hair is so worth it!!!

Well Sweetie, I'm going to lay down. I love you!
B

Thumper said...

Heard you talked to Kevin tonight, he stopped by. That guy is a hoot. I will be up to see you tomorrow and I will bring up Kate and my girls. Hope you are feeling better this evening. Donnie is doing better since he had cigs. Like you and I talked this isnt his time to quit. I hope Misty and Marc and the kids are getting better, I will check on them when I pick up Kate, Let her know I will be coming to get her. I will call you tomorrow at lunch time as normal. Have to fold some more clothes , my work here is never done. HA+_+HA, Before I forget Hillbilly from Columbus says to tell you hello and he hopes you get better. He said sorry about not making it up to see you but has been so busy with work, but he is thinking of you. Well better get. See you tomorrow.

LOL
Kim

Unknown said...

hi honey, so sorry your day was not great. i hope this evening will go better.your hair will grow back even prettier.i sure hope marcus and misty get feeling better soon.happy birthday to zacky and misty.i am positive that you will get a good report on your test. my class prays for you each day and are learning new medical things along the way. they pray for katie and the rest of your family too.we all love you muchly (i would make my students correct that last word if they wrote that on a paper lol) love, aunt bonnie

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!