Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Wednesday, October 1, 2008

September 30, 2008

My Platelets were at 13 during my morning labs so before the Bone Marrow Biopsy this afternoon they are going to give me a unit of Platelets. I woke up tired but in a good mood. Paula came up about 9:30am & we had a nice visit. She brought me some samples to try for my acne & I went ahead & bought some. After the incident with the silky hands I figured why not. Well let me tell you I got in the shower after she left & I used the soap, the acne gel & the moisturizer. Let me tell you, by the afternoon my Doc's noticed a difference so I am really becoming a Mary Kay believer. This is twice now. I still have the acne but it is noticeably down. The clear skin from Avon that Elaine gave me dried my skin out & was to rough for me. This Mary Kay stuff it burns a little but works, my face is a lot smoother now to. I cannot get over it, I am going to get some for the kids. I put Paula's link on my blog if anyone is interested in getting Mary Kay Products she is wonderful & knows her stuff. Also they donate some of the proceeds to cancer. Mention my name to her if you decide to order anything. I think I am going to have a Mary Kay spa night at the house when I get home because the stuff is just unreal.

I was able to wear the scrub top Elaine made for me it works out really well & is very comfy so I am looking forward to getting the other ones from Chaney, they make life a lot easier with all of the IV lines.

I got Adivan at 1:30 to Prep me for the Biopsy & they were in at 1:30 sharp to start. It was still painful even with all the Ladocaine, at one point when she was going back in to get the bone sample she slipped off my pelvis & that hurt but she got enough marrow & enough bone to see if the Leukemia (AML M2) is in remission. Less than 5% Blast Cells is the Magic number we are looking for. When I came in I had 33% Blast cells in my Bone Marrow (This is a low number compared to a lot of the other patients on the floor many of them are over 80% Blast Cells) I am uncertain what percentage of Blast Cells were in my peripheral blood when I came in but they are checking for me. It is possible we may have preliminary results tomorrow afternoon, but not likely we will know before the weekend for sure.After the Bone Marrow Biopsy they have me Morphine because I was in a lot of pain. Also my Platelet level went down to 12 so they ordered another infusion so that is 2 infusions I ended up with today.

Marcus left work early to go to Urgent Care he has a nasty respiratory infection going on they put him on a Z Pack, a steroid, an inhaler & something else for his nose. He sounds terrible. He feels bad he can't come up but understands that it is important that he don't.

Kim is going to bring her girls & Katie up to see me tonight, I am so excited to see them all & Katie & I will get some time just me & her to talk.

It is hard to try to get Birthday presents when you are locked down in the Hospital so this is an interesting predicament this year. Marcus is stressing. I told him we will figure it out. He is making himself sicker with worry & needs to try to relax. I posted pictures with some of the tools they used on me after the Biopsy, my Nurse Practitioner & Doc's think I am crazy to post that stuff. I think its kinda cool.

8 comments:

Grace/Betsey said...

Good Morning.......
I hope you're feeing better today. I'm feeling a little better. I got some musilex and it seem to be helping.

I'm very excited to hear what the Doc's have to say about you biopsy, the tourture tools they use are pretty intimidating!!

I don't have much going on today, I have to be at work at 11:30. I am leaving at 6. The 20 y/o grand daughter of my department secretary was killed in a car wreck over the weekend. I'm going to the funeral tonight. It's so sad..... I've been trying to collect donations to help the family....

Please let me know what I can do to help with the birthday celebration Friday. I'm feeling better so don't hesitate to give me some 'chores' to do to help!!

Talk to you later....
Love you!
B

Aunt Lynn said...

Morning Sandi,
I like the pics you post about what's going on with you even those about the biopsy! So, tell the docs you must have a crazy family too.....lol Not sure how you deal with a 5" needle though, damn it!! Glad to hear you're getting some drugs for the pain, I can't even imagine the pain lwt alone the pain when the needle slipped off the pelvis....makes me hurt thinking about it!!! Hope you have a great visit with Katie & Kim & girls. Don't sweat the small stuff, Zack is young enough you can pretend his birthday is whenever you guys can get out to buy gifts and have him a party, he'll never know the difference. Dennis went to work yesterday and got Stugis week off next year so when you & Marc come out we're gonna try to go out also, he's pumped!! Have as good a day as possible and always know I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe, just the kind of pictures I need first thing in the morning to REALLY wake me up !!! Morphine sounds like a wonderful idea. Hope are feeling better this morning....Marcus does not need to stress over Zacks's birthday. I'm making cupcakes for his class and taking juice boxes on Friday ( I've already cleared it with the teacher )....I'm going to hang streamers from the light in the dining room and get birthday napkins ( for the class also ) and make some gigantic number 6's for the table. He wants "Little Man" so I will get him that ( if it's ok for him to see) ...somebody let me know. I have a few other toys in mind and I am going to buy him some clothes....he has out grown everything in his dresser....so he will have a good party. I've been that route before when you were in the dessert, remember. Zack came into my room this morning and said, " Grandma, get up please, you have to fix bacon and pack my lunch". Sounds just like a man doesn't it...ha...he then proceeded to crawl in my bed demanding that I turn on the TV to cartoon network...he covered up, I proped him up on two pillows and he stayed there until I got his breakfast ready. Really a good morning he was out of the kids hair and was basically in a good mood. Kate is excited about seeing you today....she said she has to get all of her chores done before she leaves though...I told her if I could clean the kitchen for Paige yesterday, I could help her with the chores so don't worry about it. THE DOG ( notice there were no loving words in there ) decided the grass was not for him this morning when I took him out so he came right back onto the porch and before I could lift him back to the yard he pooped. I'm just going laundry, dishes and general stuff this morning, I stayed up until 3 this morning and finished the book I was reading...how stupid can you get !!! Ha...Brooke came over last night and watched movies with Brandon and Marcus. You haven't seen Paige's SPANKS have you? She can't find them anyplace. Well Babe, dryer just went off so I'd better get off of here and get them hung up....hope your day goes well....hey, how about a pix of that head of yours !!! ha ha....Much Love, Misty

ben&tam said...

sandi,
man oh man just what i wanted to see this morning..needles(eewww!!)
hehe. just kiddin..that thing is HONKIN BIG!! wow. i hope you are feeling well today. i on the other hand am not.. i woke up this morning and my neck and right shoulder is very sore to the touch and i dont feel well.(yuck!!) but from the looks of the posts its going around. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ZACKIE AND MISTY. man i cant believe that he is almost 6. omg..
i am still livin in the days of "the big red car", "school of rock" and anything else dvd his little hands could get ahold of when i watched him.. man i miss those days.. lol

well gonna go and lay down.
oh and i am with misty.. lets see that beautiful head.. (you know you look good!!)

talk to ya later
tam

bluetew said...

Hi Sandi! I love your blog...I think it will be a great help to others in this situation as well as keeping your family and friends up to date. We finished the "It's All About Planning" yesterday and are all enthused to work on our plans again. You were greatly missed and mentioned and thought of often. Hope your guy gets over his cold/sinus stuff soon and that you feel better too. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe, I just got back from the Dollar Store....God, I love that place I can't believe I had never been to one until I moved back to London....Got ballons, table cloth, plates, napkins, center piece for the table and a few other things for Zack. Thank you everyone for your birthday wishes, I really appreciate it. Tam, I remember when you watched Zack, you were so good to him, and being his Grandma I really do appreciate that !!! I've ordered his cake, and will pick it up Friday morning....got to go, I have to feed the baby in the house....I would e-mail you all of this stuff but I can't figure out how to e-mail on this damned thing. I always had someone to do it for me when I was working ...ha..rest, take care of yourself and don't try and be to MUCH of a G I Jane !!!! Much Love, Misty

Pixie said...

Hey Rooster,
I knew the minute I had seen
"Mr. Crow" he was meant for you! I dont know first hand how the pain feels from having a biopsy, but i was there with Robbie when he had to do his. I hope you feel better today! The birthdays will go fine, I know you want to be there. But when you get home, as "Aunt Lynn" said, you can have a party all over for Zack he'll think he's the luckiest little devil around then!
You keep on gettin yourself well, positive energy and all that jazz!
Robbie wants to "Rub" that bald head! You know your beautiful!!!
Luv Ya Sis! Pixie & Oatmeal

Unknown said...

hi honey, hope your day got better.those needles looked rough. you are a tough girl.i hope you get to see katie today. love you and eagerly waiting for your doctors report.love you, aunt bonnie

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!