Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Monday, October 6, 2008

October 5, 2008

My Hemoglobin went from 10. to 10.1, my Hct went from 29.6 to 28.5, my White Blood Cells went from .8 to .7 & my platelets went from 20 to 8 so I got another Platelet infusion. Unfortunately my numbers are not going up yet. I am at day 19 after the first does of Chemo so I had hoped I hit my Nader & everything would be starting to come up by now. Maybe they will come up real fast & they are just being stubborn for the time being.


I had a great day. I finally got to see Marcus!!

& Bubby too!

They are both still getting over the crud so my Doc said if they wear masks they could visit. I told Marc & he came right up. I needed his hugs real bad. He brought me up CD ROM's with pic's on them so I will try to upload some slide shows this afternoon from Zack's Birthday & Paige's cheer leading check under my daily Blog. He was going to the MLMC National meeting in my place so they did not stay real long. I think he was nervous that he would get me sick even with the Mask on. He brought me the 3 scrub tops from Chaney they turned out great. & they are comfortable I will be wearing one tomorrow.

Aunt Lynn & Sharon, the people are not wearing the gowns & gloves because I tell them not to. I was on Contact precautions because of the VRE & I have cleared my tests for the past 2 weeks, they have come back negative. It is their protocol that I have to clear it 3 times each a week apart. I have them wash their hands real good & that is enough.


Dad & Elaine came down for a couple of hours.

Elaine made me another scrub top & brought me some M&M lounge pants. I showed her how ORW did their scrub tops because she is making me another one with Rooster's on it, it is going to have a matching head scarf/dew rag to go with it.



My Wing Woman MSgt Carie Brown

MSgt Carie Brown brought me a DOD Marrow Donor Program poster with my picture & a brief Bio on it. Over Drill weekend they did the drive, I am uncertain how many people they were able to register but MSgt Brown told me Major Sandusky, who was my previous Officer in Charge (OIC) when I was the Non Commissioned Officer in Charge (NCOIC) of Air Crew Training was practically tackling people in the hallways to sign them up. Major Sandusky was the one who came up with the idea & coordinated it. At this time with the Chemo working I may not need the Bone Marrow transplant but the registry is a good thing it could help other people & maybe someday I may in deed need it. I heard Lt Col Nelson was the official swabber. It felt real weird not being at Drill this weekend. I miss everyone so much & this really means a lot to me.



We got out of the room & went for a walk around Campus they were recruiting all the students for Obama & trying to get them to register to vote. People were gawking at me again, I guess this is something I will need to get used to. She rally boosted my Moral as you can see below we got a little silly.




I was pretty tired by the end of the day but had a little trouble sleeping, I kept getting cramps in my lower back. Tomorrow is one more day closer to home. Marcus said he may bring Zack up tomorrow night, I hope so I really need to see him & he really needs to see me. I have had 27 infusions to date, so If you or someone you know can donate blood please encourage them to donate & send me their Donor ID Numbers. I will need more than 100 infusions before this is over with so every donation can help me with my insurance bills. I do not have to pay for the blood products but the equipment, handling & associated lab fees for cross & match. Thank you all so much again for your continued support!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

HI HONEY, I KNOW THAT WAS A BOOST TO SEE MARCUS AND BRANDON.GLAD YOUR DAD AND ELAINE WERE ABLE TO COME UP.I HOPE YOUR NUMBERS DO WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO DO PRETTY QUICK.MAYBE THEY ARE JUST BEING STUBBORN LIKE YOU SAID.NOW, WHERE WOULD THEY GET THAT STUBBORN FACTOR HMMMMMMMM! LOL HOPE YOUR DAY GOES GOOD AND FAST.LOVE YOU BUNCHES,AUNT BONNIE

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe, Kids are off...Zack didn't eat breakfast this morning, just drank mike. I think this is the first time he has refused to eat. I hope you are feeling ok...what happens if your numbers are REALLY slow coming up???? Elaine must be a really great at sewing to make those tops for you. Nothing new here...I got Zack a little black jacket for his birthday and he wore it this morning he told " I really look cool, huh Grandma !!!" ha..... Kate, Zack and I went to the library yesterday he was really good and QUIET....go figure. I took him to get a happy meal after we were finished....I told him that was two happy meals in two days and he said "Well, I could eat more". I don't think that was the point I was trying to make !! I will go to Kohls tomorrow morning for Zack....just let Marcus know what you want me to get him. I don't know if you are allowed to wear little sweatshirts and sweatpants that match to school or not...do you know? I just figured they would be warm and comfortable come the cold months. I'm hoping my computer comes today, I have no idea why I can't use the darn thing. Got to go...Much Love, Misty

Aunt Lynn said...

Good Morning Sandi,
So glad you had such a good day!! Hey you could where those goggles and red nose the next time you go out to give the little dumbasses something to stare at...lmao Don't let people like that bug you & by the way do they not know they are near a cancer hospital?? They just show their stupidity in my opinion! I can't wait to see your rooster scrub & dorag. I'm praying for all your numbers to come up to what they need to be so you can come home for a bit. Hope you have another great day & a better night. Love & miss you, Aunt Lynn

Amber J said...

Just sayin' hey...and letting you know I really do read your blogs and think about you..I just didn't have my password for a minute to leave comments! I love you!

ben&tam said...

sandi,
hey glad to see you and marc got some time.. zackys pix are so cute on your blog. still cant believe the boy is 6.. man i am old.. lol


dont worry your levels will come up.. and you will be home.. and we can RIDE!!!!!!! wahooo!!!

miss riding together. everyone here is fine. girls are good(bleepin brats!!) bennie wants to come see you but i think he got bit by a spider 2 times on his left eye.. it looks nasty. but i am putting ointment on it..

well i will talk to ya later..
tam

Anonymous said...

HEELLLOOOO!!!
HOW ARE YOU FEELING? tHINGS ARE GOOD HERE. MARC LOOKS LIKE A PIMP OR MAFIA MAN IN FRONT OF THE SUBURBAN.LOL I TOLD HIM HE LOOKED GOOD IN A SUITE. (I THINK THAT IS HOW YOU SPELL IT?)LOL WELL, GOTTA GO!! HOPE TO SEE YA SOON, SMILE!!!
MANDY

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!