Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Wednesday, October 22, 2008

October 22, 2008

I went to the James this morning for my Bone Marrow Biopsy follow up. We got great news we have achieved first remission, my counts are all up & within normal limits so I will not congest you with the lab numbers except for the cancer blast cells in my bone marrow are at 1% & there are no cancer blast cells in my peripheral blood. My Dr. is very pleased with my progress so far. We did find out that my sister is not a match for a Bone Marrow Transplant, but my Dr. feels that is ok at this point she is not looking for a match because my treatment & recovery is going so well.

My Dr. scheduled my next admission to the James for November 3, 2008. Best case scenario I will be in there until the 7th or the 8th which should work out well with the follow on treatments staggered to allow me to be home for the holidays. She gave me a paperwork for the BMV, I get a lovely blue handicap tag for my window. She also gave me a prescription for Chantix. I quit smoking back before I was admitted but Marcus has been smoking like a freight train so it is for him. I hope it works.

I went to Hope's Boutique on Dublin Granville road to get fitted for a wig. I was going to try to make it without one, but it is just not happening. We went to Walmart last night & my head froze with just a dew rag on it. Plus with my good prognosis I hope to be returning to work after the first of the year even though my hair will not so, I might as well get used to it. I figure I will be bald for about 9 months, well see. It wasn't so bad when it was warm out but now that it is cold well it's another story.

I know I have not posted in a few days, I did make it up to Lima on Monday. My Grandmother is out of the hospital & is doing better. My Aunt Sue & Uncle David came up from Texas & were at her house when I visited so it was good to see them as well. On my way out of town I stopped by real quick to see my Aunt Bonnie & she was heart broken to tell me my cat Emmit had died, and of all things to die from it was Leukemia. He was an old cat & I told her it was ok because he lived a long cat life (he was 16 years old).

Other than my Lima visit I have been relaxing at home. The kids have been doing better at their chores. Zack seems to be more mellow now that I am home. Misty has been sick & bed bound all weekend & Monday. She finally went to the VA Clinic in Columbus yesterday & has pneumonia. So she has a lot of medicine for that.

Thank you to everyone that is sending in donations we really appreciate it. I try to update you all on the contributors section even though some of you have stated you do not want any recognition for it. It is important to me to recognize what you are doing for us to make this process easier. I also want to send a special thanks out to my supervisors & friends at the Ohio Department of Health Bureau of Public Health Preparedness who participated in my honor at the Light the Night Walk in Columbus. This is a great cause through the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), they fund lifesaving cancer research that has helped patients live better, longer lives.

Captain Kathy Putt, my old supervisor & my friend from the Ohio Reformatory for Women called me tonight to let me know her daughter Natasha along with her friends at High Point vocational school in Bellefountain will be donating blood for the first time of their life at age 17 & they will be doing so in my honor as well.

MSgt Joesph Drake & Major Sandusky are gearing up for the 445th Airlift Wing wide Bone Marrow Donor Drive in my honor as well. The first one was for the 445th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron (my squadron) in September, they were able to register over 60 potential bone marrow donors.

So many people have come together in this fight with me. No one should ever have to go through something like this on their own. Many of you know me personally however, some of you do not & yet you are still supporting me. It is very empowering & I am speechless at moments when I think about it. Let me tell you it takes a lot to get me speechless. Thank you all so very much, together we are winning this fight.

9 comments:

Pixie said...

ROOSTER,
Hell yeah!!!
Happy ya are home! And numbers are GOOD! NO, Thank you for letting us(me & Oatmeal)in your life to be there for you! Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I've been sick & busy, the Pumpkin Show and the grandsons. Enough said! Sorry Misty is so sick. Tell her we said hey. Hope to see ya at the Halloween Party / Chili Cook Out.
Luv Ya Sis!
Pixie & Oatmeal

Aunt Lynn said...

That is absolutely fabulous news Sandi. I'm glad your grandma is out of the hospital also, now all we have to do is get Misty better and we'll be batting a 100!!! It is so awsome to hear all that people are doing for you, I am so thankfull for people's kind hearts. So, what kind of style wig you going for...I'm sure you could find a red spiked one...lol Keep it up Babe & yes 16 is a good long life for a cat & I'm sure Aunt Bonnie gave him some very good years too. Continue the good job, I love & miss you.

Anonymous said...

Like you say Pixie....hell yeah!!!! Thank you guys for thinking of me....I'm ok....pneumonia won't have me down for to long...to much stuff to do and I have to keep everyone's belly full here!! ha. We are so happy for Sandi and her progress. Thank you all again...Misty

Unknown said...

hi sweetie, i am so glad i got to see you for a bit when you were in town.i miss seeing you .we are moving back to bowdle rd. house so emmitt will be at home with all his other buddies in the side yard.your results are fantastic. thank God for family support, good friends,good dr.s and your positive attitude.this cancer had no idea who it was missing with.you have never taken on anything any way but straight on and this time that was to your benefit.love you sooooo much .love, aunt bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Rooster. It's Sally, from Sally Land. You signed up to follow my blog and I just did the same for yours. Where do you live currently? Sounds like you have a great family and support system. What are your treatment options? Let me know if you're open to communicating one-on-one.

You go girl!

ben&tam said...

OH YEAH!!!!
i am so glad to hear the results.. you are such a strong woman that nothing can keep you down.. and i love it.. you know sandi there was a time that i thought nothing mattered and no one. but i want you to know . that seeing you go throgh this and watching the kids . i was wrong. the one thing that matters is family and girl you got that is spades!!

love love love
berries(tam)

bluetew said...

Hi Sandi...just checking in on you and am so thankful for the great news. Also, I think Spike is just about the cutest boxer pup I have ever seen and you know with working at the vet's still on the weekends, I see a lot! You really look good...you are beautiful! Also, I got a different job here at the health dept., so you won't have to put up with me so much when you get back to work. My replacement is awesome...smart, articulate, and very positive...she is going to do a great job. Best wishes and lots of love, tonya

paullydee2000 said...

HELLO BABY!!!!!!!!!
SUCH GOOD NEWS. I am truly ecstatic with this news. Now it maybe time think about hooking up with a real man!!! LMAO
Luv U and can't wait to see you guys. Keep the faith and never give up.
Luv
Paully

paullydee2000 said...

Love you and the wonderful news!!!!
Marcus get your ass of the couch and start exercising before you get so fat she will be dumping you for some young stud like me.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!