Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Monday, October 13, 2008

October 12, 2008

NEWS UPDATE: I am getting released this afternoon Oct 13, 2008!!!!! I will post more tomorrow everything below is from the 12th.

My Hemoglobin went from 9.8 to 10.1, my Hct went from 28.1 to 29.1, my White Blood Cells went from 2 to 3 & my Platelets went from 283 to 435. My neutraphils came back at the normal time for the first time in the past 3 days & I went from 30 to 150, we will have to wait & see if it bounces or or holds tomorrow.

Marcus went to the Hill Climbs with the club & when they got back he took all the kids out to the club house. It is a nice break for them & they get to hang out with all the other kids. They always to seem to have a good time.

The day seemed to move at a turtles pace. I got very bored easily, it felt like the hospital walls were closing in on me so I started surfing the web for success stories. It is becoming an obsession with me I feel compelled to find survivors of this because they have to be out there somewhere & there is so little positive info accessible out there. I follow a couple other blogs of AML patients I looked at their updates today only to find the one lady who was diagnosed 2 months ago just died on the 10th & the other lady who was diagnosed in May went home from the hospital so she could die where she is more comfortable. It is so frustrating trying to find the positive stories where people make it through this. I know they are keeping me in the hospital for my protection but it scares the hell out of me sometimes because if it goes bad with this type of Leukemia it goes bad pretty quick & they odds are not favorable. I think it would just really suck to spend so much time in the hospital only to die months down the road. Needless to say after reading these I got in a real funk.

I do not have any pictures today, I forgot my camera when I went out for a walk. I was so irritated I made it all the way to North Broadway in Clintonville without to much effort. I did find this cool shop called Rag O Rama I would like to take Kim to it when I get out for Halloween costume shopping. The walk back was a little slower but I was in no hurry to get back either.

I ate my tomato soup for dinner & finished season 2 of My Name is Earl when I got back. I was just extremely bored. I finally laid down to sleep around midnight. Hopefully the Dr brings better news tomorrow if not, it may be in their best interests to skip my door.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look, it sounds to me like you have yourself dead already !!! Stop reading those things from Canada...their health caRE is free but I would not want to be sick and have to stand in line to get a doctors appt....go to leukemia.web.org/acute myelogenous leukemia, (AML)...they say survival rate is 70 to 80 percent and most of the ones that do not survive are older people, since they are the ones most likely to get this anyway. Got to go...I can't get into the doctor until Wednesday, doing laundry and have to get dressed since I have done nothing in the past days except try to breath....Much Love, Misty

Aunt Lynn said...

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!! I am sooo happy for you that you get to leave the "Hotel" But, please try not to over do it at home! And, even if there are no success stories on the computer you can damn sure start one!! But I am also sure there are some people that have beat this thing. Aunt Debe says, you go girl, she's very happy for you too!!! We all love you & continue to pray for the best outcome for you. And, we do happen to believe in miracles too. Love you bunches, Aunt Lynn

Goldeye said...

Hey Lady,

I like those counts today! Just take it easy when you get back to the house. Enjoy your family but don't worry about the little things. I'm up cooking this pumpkin corn soup recipe and it smells good, but looks pretty nasty. I found this cool web page that describes the HLA typing process and the genetics involved. It sounds like the general timeline for HLA typing is two weeks. I didn't realize that it took so long. Also, the HLA typing is not related to blood type at all, that surprised me. Call me anytime.

Unknown said...

i hope this fines you at home and so much more comfortable.say hi to all the kids for me .they must be ecstatic.don't over do it. enjoy each warm sunny fall day.stop reading the sad stories.there many positive ones out there you will just have to find them.your aunt was right ,you start the positive stories for all the other people in your shoes.enjoy the evening .love you ,aunt bonnie.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sandy it's Paully,
So happy to read that you are going home finally. I have lots to tell you but would rather do it on the phone so I will call you in a few days (once you get settled down a little) tell my brother from another mother I love him and his facial hair makes him look old. I love you and you are always in our prayers out here in Mass.

Paully

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!