Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Tuesday, September 23, 2008

September 22, 2008

From the Kids visit last Sunday









We got real good news today from the Doc's my preliminary chromagenial results came in & there is a good link between my chromosomes 8 & 21. So what that means is there is a chance that the 3 rounds of Chemo alone may work to put the Leukemia in remission. Of course this is very preliminary but still it is very good news, it makes my prognosis a lot better. They said out of all the cases they get every year they maybe only see this 4 times per year. They still want to type my sister Sharon to see if she is a match for a Bone Marrow Transplant but this is more for insurance in case the Chemo does not work. We will know more about this at the 4 week mark.
Today I was so puffy with water retention & was up to 183 pounds, the Doc put me on Lasix, needless to say about every 15-20 minutes I was going to the bathroom. I feel like I lost about 10 pounds in water weight alone. I filled up the pee hat at least 12 times I think.

Donnie & Alan (Krome & Gump) came to see me today, they looked so cute in their papa smurf outfits don't ya think, they put the gowns on backwards. I went outside with them for a little bit, it was so nice out & warm but it really wore me out so I came back up & laid down for a little while.

They had the blood drive at ORW today, Beverly McKinley said they had about 30 people show up but not all could donate, I still think that is a good turn out. They sent up cards from the red cross with their donation numbers I had Marc help me tape them up all over my door.
I did not have to get any blood products today so with the donation numbers I am actually 5 bags in the bank, I have only used 8 bags of blood total so far, but if you count the platelets I am even up since I have had 5 bags of platelets total I think, it is all kinda sorta running together.

Chanie called me & is working on getting me some scrubs with Velcro on them so I do not have to fight the IV lines as much. Elaine said she would make some to. Chaine may come up Wednesday night & Elaine is going to come up with Dad Sunday I think.

I cannot express enough how thankful I am for the outpouring of support from everyone. It just amazes me everyday & I ma lucky to have such good friends & a loving family, there are so many people that do not have a good support system & I truly believe it will get me through this.
Marc came up to see me last night, he brought me clean clothes & took home my dirty ones, man they smelled bad. If he leaves them in the car he will know it in the morning. He also got a fan for under my laptop so it will not over heat. He put my clean clothes away... I just don't know how I would get through this without him, he has really been my rock & now more then ever even me little miss independent must admit I would be lost without him. I love him so much.
Brandon went to the Dr. he does not have strep but some type of virus so he cannot come see me for awhile. Misty made me a hummingbird cake, I had Marc put in in my fridge for tomorrow, the plan is to shave my head tomorrow so the cake should be good soul food for afterwards. Kim is going to come do it for me. I just can't do it myself. I am going to try to take some pictures, and make some fun out of it, might give myself a a big mohawk or something first.
I am having a real hard time concentrating on typing I got some oxycodone for my back this bed is tearing me up I can't get comfortable in it, only 2 more nights of Chemo to go, I cannot wait to get off the IV's!!! Maybe I will sleep better then.

11 comments:

ben&tam said...

sandi,
it was such a relief to hear the good news..(yes it is preliminary but good news is good news!!!!).
cant wait to come up to see you. we have had a very hard weekend and yesterday was worse.. finishing a year without my dad was hard for me . and mom well lets just say we did alot of crying . i have moms church praying constantly for you and your family. i must say.. marcus,
i am so proud of you.. you are her rock and therfore she has you to lean on.. i know sometimes the rock tends to give a little but you hold it strong for sandi and for that you are priceless.. thank you for being so strong for my sister.
well i have taken enough of your time.. we love you all..
ben & tam

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe, I have been waiting for your "blog" all day....damn, sounds like I know what I am talking about. I hope the cake is good.....how do you feel today? Kids are great, Kate was a little ticked off this morning that Brandon could not go to school, but I explained to her that your doctor said he needed to stay away from everyone until she got the results today from Childrens....no results yet so he has decided to go to work.Wonderful news Sweetheat, you are so tough that I don't think a damned tornado could take you down. You are right about Marcus, he is one good husband.....I raised him right ( I can't take credit, he never listened to me from day one when he was growing up), but then again they never do. All you can do is do the best you can and pray. He's one wonderful guy and I, like you, thank God for him every day. He would really hate me if he ever reads this.......I would really love to see you but with the kids and schedules I don't know how I can....not to mention the fact that I can't drive in Columbus. We are great, kids are fine, Merk is muddling through. He said he would get your sink hooked up and a new faucet on the tub for you in YOUR bathroon before you come home....so keep on him about that.
I "lemon oiled" all of the wood in the entry this morning, can't put the furniture in there for another 24 hours because the paint has to "cure". Hope your day goes well Babe, why are you having your hair shaved off, it looks fine to me.....are the doctors telling you that you will loose it soon? Hey, figure it this way, if you loose it, it may just grow back in and be beautiful, wavy and red like you like it !!!!! YOU NEVER KNOW!!!! Love you lots, Misty

Goldeye said...

Finally got with the program and can post on the blog. I'm thinking about shaving my head in support still. I've been growing it out for a couple of years now! Some of my friends have donated blood in different states to you, are you getting it? Still not sure how that works. Dad got onto your blog last night, needed Lisa to help him...ha ha ha. I told him he needs to learn how to use a computer and come into the 21st century! I am glad you got some Lasix! I was worried about you being so puffy. Make sure the nurses keep an eye on your creatinine. I would ask what it is everyday. Let me know about the BMT testing when the time comes. My US is next Tuesday so you will know if you are getting a new nephew or niece finally. I am trying to get all those photos that I scanned organized in the computer so I can send you a couple of picture CD's to play with, but it's taking forever since Sierra rarely naps anymore...
Hang in there. Once you hit your nadir you'll be on your way back to normal! The next week will be tough but you can do it!!!!

Anonymous said...

man sandi that is good news .i will show your dad all this when he gets home.you know your dad ive tried to show him how to work this puter he wants to still to be clueless to learning lolo.ill try again now maybe he will sit down and learn.know you in my thoughts and constant prayers.stay strong sweety. love ya lisa

Anonymous said...

hey again lololol i was thinking a way to pass your time with new games sent you an e mail on site you all set up to start playing when you read your mail.enjoy.love ya lots lisa ohh i sent you a 5 day guest pass at the games also so activate that yet i didnt do that lolol

Anonymous said...

Hey Mommy!
hows it going?
Good here grandma is really grumppy today. She wont stop complaining. Anyways, I think that Daddy is going to bring home Spike today! ( yippee).... So far the middle school football team is undefeated, whitch is a good thing! Umm I might not cheer on Wed. because I am going to get my skirt for cheerleading altered.And Grandma said that it wont be done untill thursday or friday. So I really have no clue... Anyways Zacky cant wait to see you again. Every day he comes home and askes where you are..... Hopefully we can come and sse you this weekend or something. Well I will talk to later... I love you and have a good day/night!!!

~Paige~

Grace/Betsey said...

Sandi...........OMG!! That is great news!! I think you are just mean/tough enough that this thing was 'ascared' of you!! I'll keep praying as will the 100's of others that are praying for you.

Not much has happened since I posted this morning at 2:30 am!! I finally went back to bed at 4 am and the alarm went off at 5:15, I hit the snooze until 6 and finally rolled out of bed!

I was wondering, do you think one of the 'egg crate' memory bed pads would be helpful for you? I was wondering if that might make it easier for you to get comfortable. Just a thought.....maybe they have some there at the hospital.

I talked to a guy from Boston College about an on-line Masters program today. 10 classes,
5 semesters. $31,000.00!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if I want it that bad!!

Well, that's it for now Sweetie. I'll be down Friday, probably around lunch time, so if you want me to bring you something special let me know and I will, it's payday!!

Love you lots!
Grace/Betsey

Aunt Lynn said...

Hey Sandi,
I am so happy to hear the news, even though it is reliminary it is still good news. We are all still praying that Sharon will be a match for you too. Please tell her I said hello and I love her too! I haven't seen or talked to her forever it seems like. And, don't you worry about the hair missy....I've been shaving my own head for a couple years now. Matter factly just shaved it on Sunday...the sides and back are 1/4" long and the top might be 3/4". Kinda looks like a pinnapple hair cut Grandpa used to give Allen and, yes I hack it up myself...you know I figure if Debe can do her own hair so can I....LMAO!!!! No matter what it will grow back so no worries, take care, love you and we all thank God for Marcus and everyone you've got in your coner.

Unknown said...

sandi, i am so thankful for the good news.praise god! I KNOW IN MY HEART THAT YOU CAN BEAT THIS. I am so greatful for all your friends and how they all care so much about you.YOU ARE A SPECIAL LADY.you have always been a tough little bird and you can do this.Marcus is a gift from God.he loves you very much.misty being with the kids lets your mind rest because you know they are in good hands.hope to see you soon.love aunt bonnie

Anonymous said...

I love you so much Sandi! If anyone can beat this crap it's you!! I thank God you have Marcus and the kids...I'll see you soon!
Amber

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe....how do you feel this morning, I hope you got a good nights sleep last night. I walked into the kitchen last night and here was Marcus with his head in the trash can shaving his head. God, he looks funny, eveything is tan except his WHITE head....Brandon followed suit....so you have two bauld boys in Vest household !!! I have Brandon's virus except I'm throwing up every hour. I told the kids to fix Zack's lunch, breakfast and get him dressed for school this morning but when I got up to throw up at 7:40 none of it was accomplised yet so I went ahead and did it. The reason I'm telling you about MY virus is because I know someone else will get it here and Paige wants to come to see you this weekend so you and Marcus will have to make the call on that one. Still no good looking interns huh....you just can't get good looking help now adays !!! Zackery wanted to sleep with me last night but after tossing and turned until about 10:30 he said, "Grandma, I think I want to sleep in my bed I like my blanket better than yours". So off we went to his bed...where he fell immediately asleep. I was trying to teach him how to close his eyes and "count sheep" but he told me that all he sees when he closes his eyes are "dark spots"..lol...have a good day Sweetheart and take it easy....I'm going back to bed for a couple of hours....love you, Misty

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!