Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Monday, September 15, 2008

September 15, 2008

I am admitted at OSU James Cancer Hospital, I am on the 3rd floor room # 358 currently but they plan to move me up to the 10th floor when they get an open bed. The room phone number is (614) 293-3414. My cell is currently working up here as well & I have Wifi so I can update this unless I am really out of it.

Today I got a very lengthy Bone Marrow Biopsy, they took 4 pieces of bone & I think 7 samples of the actual bone marrow. The Lab stuck me 4 times, they drew 19 tubes of blood for my admission & clinical trials. My Platelet count is 11 & my WBC count was 22 so I should be getting some platelets tonight.

I am getting a PICC (Peripherally inserted central catheter) tonight, this should reduce the amount of times they have to stick me, unless I get a fever or need a special test. My Chemotherapy is being held off until Wednesday the Dr.s are waiting on my Chromosome analysis results to determine which clinical trial I will participate in.

Marcus is drained he did not sleep well last night so I sent him home & there is no sense in him sitting up here staring at me. The kids all kissed me goodbye this morning & were sad but holding it together. I am so upset they cannot come see me on this floor however once I get up on the 10th floor they should be able to come see me.

They are checking into designated blood donations for me, there are so many factors that go into if I can have someones blood so I strongly encourage you to donate at you closest red cross or Blood Donation facility, I will be getting so much blood & platelets there is a very good chance I could get yours if you donate.

Thank you everyone for your prayers & support,
Sandi

8 comments:

ben&tam said...

sandi,
you are one of the strongest women i know. i know you will handle this as you always handle everything with strength and courage. know we love you and are here for you and marc and the kids if you need anything just email me or call..
love ya girl. ben and tam

Grace/Betsey said...

Hey there Girlie!!!
I'm so glad to hear from you tonight!! I can only imagine how difficult of a day it has been...far beyond my abiity to comprehand.
Last night was pretty interesting wasn't it?? I'm pretty sure that all of London was without power, my neighbors and I stood outside and drank beer!!
I hope your spirits are up...let me know if you need ANYTHING!!
Love you! Grace

Kathy said...

Hey girl...I wanted to call but thought that you need your rest. I know that dad was there yesterday and you needed your last day before admission to spend with him and your family...but don't think that I won't be in touch and be stopping in for a visit. You do what you have always done and beat this challenge...you know you will...you always do! Here's to you girl...I know you will do it! Love you and always in my prayers...Kathy

bluetew said...

Sandi! Thank you for the e-mail message. Today, we are going to day 2 of It's All About Planning and I will be thinking of you more than ever. Who will keep Jeff on track?! We are repeating the course to work on some things specifically together for our subregion. Here's something I learned from your blog...we like the same music. Hope you day is good today. ~tonya

realredd said...

Ok first things first, I love you and am there if you need me all the way in Cleveland!!! Secondly if I have never prayed before you are special and I am praying. Thirdly when you are finish whippen the crap outta this unexpected turn and things are back to normal (because I know you an it will be) we will have to do another "MOMMA DRAMA" rode trip to somewhere! Me / you / Z / Claudia. But seriously Sandi do what they tell you and if it dont sound right ask questions and if they dont give you straight answers ask for the head honcho and MAKE HER break it down!! Stay strong love you Angie Pope :)

Niki said...

Hey girl! Stay strong and keep a positive attitude - if anyone can beat this you can! You're one of the strongest women I know! Love ya much!!
Niki

BILL BOOHER said...

HEY SANDI,

THIS IS YOUR COUSIN BILL IN LIMA. I GOT THE EMAIL LAST SAT ABOUT EVERYTHING. IT SOUND LIKE IT'S GOING TO BE A LONG HARD ROAD AHEAD, BUT I KNOW YOU WILL GET THREW THIS. I SEE ALL THE SUPPORT YOU HAVE AND THAT'S A GREAT THING. I WOULD DONATE BUT IM A+. I WAS GOING TO GET WITH MY MOM AND SEE IF SHE WOULD WANT TO COME VISIT AND WE COULD TALK MORE. WELL HANG IN THERE, WE WILL KEEP YOU IN OUR PRAYERS.

LOVE YA,
BILL,APRIL, KIDS AND THE BOOHER FAMILY

jen and tommy said...

sandi,
it was good to talk to you .Lrd knows you can beat this you are to much of a tough ass not to.Please give marc my regards tell him it is important for him to take care of himself also. stay strong and upbeat. maybe we will drop by in the next few weeks.keep in touch....jenn

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!