Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 10, 2008

So we went to see Dr. Rhodes today at the Zangmeister center in Columbus after several days of not knowing anything specific. Vitals were 149/96 BP, 98.6 T. Labs were Hemoglobin 10.4 & Platelet Count 10.



We got the Bone Marrow Biopsy results back & the Official Diagnosis is Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) Subtype myeloblastic leukemia (M2). That is a mouthful. After we were told the treatment Marc said that our bump in the road has changed to a large pot hole.



The standard treatment consists of combined chemotherapy in the hospital - 3 days by IV - 1hour each day & an additional 7 days by IV for 24 hours. I will also have a surgery for a chest port to be inserted for this due to the large number of blood draws & transfusions. The 7 day IV chemo treatment will kill all of the white blood cells among other things & my body will drop to a zero immune capability. I will be on continuous blood transfusions throughout the hospital stay. Because of all this I cannot go home afterwards and will have to spend an additional 3 weeks give or take in the hospital to rebuild my immune system. If all is well after that I get to go home for 2 months give or take. This treatment is a series of three so we get to do it all over again 1 month in the hospital maybe 2 months at home, and again one last time supposedly then I will get a get out of jail free card I hope. If this does not work the next option for treatment is a Bone Marrow transplant, it is very difficult to find a match for this & success rates are about 60%. Lastly if neither work the Dr. said 2 years max (which is not an option for the record).



Obviously we were not expecting this, I did not take it so well. I do not know what I was thinking maybe a few days treatment, be sick then back to work of course long term series of this but I had no idea it would be this extreme.



Dr. Rhodes referred us to the James Cancer Hospital at OSU, I have an appointment to see a Dr. Walker next Wednesday the 17th. He wanted me to go to the James tomorrow but also stated when you go they want to admit you that day & start treatment right away so I said NO, so Wednesday it is. I have to go to Mount Carmel West for a 4 pack of platelets tomorrow morning. The treatment may change depending on what the James Cancer Hospital wants to do.



Marcus is very stressed & trying not to show it, I am a basket case crying one minute & a zombie the next. Misty is vigorously cleaning everything in the house she is so upset. But it could be worse in all honesty. The kids are going to be OK, we have talked to them obviously Zack is too little to understand. I will update you all later through the blog.



On a positive note if anyone would like to donate blood in my name they can do so through the dedicated doner program at the Red Cross you have to give them my name when you do it & they will see if it is a match, if it is not please still donate, the blood & platelet transfusions are what is keeping me alive along with all of your Love & support.



Sandi

11 comments:

Chris said...

Sandi...I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and I'll be "checking in" on ya to see how everything goes so keep us updated.
Chris Denning

Eric Ranck said...

Mark and Sandi,

I am just in shock. My heart and prayers are with you and your family. What blood type is Sandi. If you let me know I can e-mail all my contacts to donate blood so we can all that we can to help. Just remember that with God Anything IS Possible!!! We will put you on our prayer chain as well. God Bless

Eric, Michele, Brandon, Riley, Teresa, Joshua, Emily and Jonathan Ranck.

Aunt Lynn said...

Sandi, we don't have the red cross out here so if you would ask your doc where I should go to get tissue typed and I will ask my 2 sister in laws that are nurses where to go do it also. I know it might be a long shot but I am willing to do whatever you need if I can help.... I love you so much and wish I wasn't so far away.

Kathy said...

Marc, Sandi and family,
As you know, my prayers are with you and I can not get you all off my mind! I will be giving blood on the 22nd and it's gonna be yours girl...maybe you will get some curl after all?? :) Your motivation and perseverance is astounding...I don't doubt that once the "Pot hole" has been filled in...your going to be able to wave that "White Chestnut t-shirt" over your head and scream..."We did it!" I'll be in touch soon...but you need "your" time now. Love you all...and remember...I'll be there for you!!
Love ya...Kathy

JoeD said...

Sandi,

You are my Wingwoman! If you or your family need anything feel free to call me anytime 24/7 365. You and your family our in my prayers and thoughts. When I get back home I will check with the Red Cross to see if I can donate any blood or platelets for you. God Bless!

Your Wingman,
Joe Drake

Scott Luff said...

Sandi, WOW! I don't really know what to say, but I know you're one tough and incredible person! You and your family will be in mine and Janene's thoughts. Please let us know if you need anything, and I mean anything...

In your next blog please post your blood type and Rh factor.

Keep your spirits up!

Scott and Janene

KSnow said...

Sandi...you have my thoughts and prayers. Your medical team will advise - they are the experts for your physical side. You have asked for time with your family first before you begin treatment,and only you know your spiritual need. Your thoughts, feelings, comments - are all part of the decision-making process...I know you won't hold back, but share those with your doctors and nurses. We all know you well on that one. :o) Once you have begun the treatment process, maybe it would be good for you to talk with someone who has been on a similar path. Thinking of you...sending a hug.....Snow

Thomas Shannon said...

Sandi,

Knowing that you’re a fighter, a woman of faith, and that your many great friends and family are pulling for you…it is my feeling that you will though the to other side a more committed wife, mother, and friend then you ever imagined.

Take some advice from my mother, ‘When chemo has you down and is kicking your ass…drink Scotch…It can’t hurt and will make everything a little more enjoyable.”

Keep a postive attitude. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Thomas Shannon

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear the difficult news, Sandi. I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. Ironically, I had a voicemail from the Red Cross yesterday. I am O NEG which is universal, so maybe it will help if I donate. Take care and stay strong!

Dave and Pat Cady said...

Sandi,
Pat and I were shocked to receive your news. We believe that GOD brought us together in our recent visit so that we can be another support for you. We have added you to our prayer list and will look forward to reading your updates.

Unknown said...

Hi sweetheart,you are never far from my thoughts.I wish I could be with you but,I know this week-end is for the kids.We all love you so much and you are a fighter and I know you will work hard to beat this.Have courage and keep your pretty little chin up.All are love to you ,Aunt Bonnie,Uncle Steve,Scott,Jessica and Emmitt,too.

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!