Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Thursday, November 20, 2008

November 19, 2008

Nothing like starting out your day with a little blood work...
I talked with my Dr. about all of the side effects I am having, she is most concerned with my vision problems & is contacting my Ophthalmologist to get additional information.

My labs came in
Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
10 Nov------69-----8.8-------8200-------9.3---------74----------N/A
13 Nov------72-----0.5----------0---------9.2---------22----------N/A
17 Nov------76-----0.7----------0---------7.9---------03-------1 Unit P
19 Nov------78----26.9------14,000------8.3---------11---------1 Unit P

We were at the James until about 2 in the afternoon. One thing seemed to lead to another. My ANC & WBC counts went through the roof so for now she is pulling me off the neupogen shots. If my counts drop then I will have to start them again but for now my levels are very high. Although I am nervous about not taking the shots since my levels can rise & fall so drastically. One nice thing about it, this should save a little money since the neupogen shots are my most expensive medicine at $469.15 each. To date I have racked up $15,049.20 in prescription costs at home. I must admit that I am very blessed to have decent insurance, they have covered the bulk of this bill, but there is still a hefty sum that I pay upfront, so again thank you everyone who has donated money to help with the costs.

My doctor was a little concerned because I am still having some shortness of breath. She ordered some Blood to go with my Platelet infusion. I told her I would like to try & hold out until Friday for the blood infusion. I want to see if my body will continue to make more blood & correct itself. She went ahead & gave me a standing order to give to Madison County Hospital for infusions. This will allow Sue, my RN, to give me an infusion of Platelets any time I drop below 20 or my Hemoglobin drops below 8. No more waiting for an order like last weekend & the other day.

As you can see Marcus got real bored waiting...

We did find out when they do the Platelet infusion out patient it only takes about 30 minutes to an hour, but when I was in-patient it took about 2 hours. Blood infusions only take 2 hours but when I was getting that it in-patient it took 4...

When they went to give me the platelets, my purple port would not flush at all. They drew my labs out of it earlier with ease so I was surprised it clogged so fast. The whole time my PICC has been in the red port is usually the sluggish one. They tried to flush them simultaneously to see if that would be enough pressure on it to open up, but we had no such luck.
They had 3 different nurse come in & try it. Sharon will be going nuts when she sees these pictures because one of the nurses didn't wear gloves. I was so out of it from the pre meds for my infusion I was looking right at her & didn't even notice.
They finally brought in a PICC Nurse, after using altaplase (kinda like roto rooter for your veins) & a stopcock they were able to get my lines cleared.


Needless to say it was a long day, we stopped at Sams Club to pick up a few things for the house & headed home. Zack has been having a much better week at school. Misty is sick with the Stomach virus Zack had. Paige & Brandon are engaged in cheer leading & wrestling every week night & Katie well, she draws & reads a lot. She has no desire to participate in school sports & there are no art programs locally to put her in. Marc & I lounged the rest of the night.

3 comments:

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
Marc is too funny!! Glad to hear you got some blood products & a standing order. Also glad to see your counts up but still take it easy, ok. I never was involved in school activities either...um...well never mind I was never involved too much in school! Katie will turn out much better than I did. I'm also glad to hear Zach is having a better week at school so Santa can get a good report on him since he's so busy at the North Pole....kids are too smart for their own good sometimes. Take care of yourself babe, I love you!!!
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi honey,wow what a long rough day.i am glad you were able to finally get all the lines open and get the meds you needed.zack will be better now because santa is coming soon. paige and brandon sound busy.katie is always so quiet ,she seems to enjoy her evenings just drawing.she does some beautiful work.i hope your numbers become stable this week.you certainly can cope with a lot. uncle steve says he loves you.hope this note makes sense ,it is late. i love you bunches.love, aunt bonnie

Jamie Schaut said...

Hi Sandi,

I stumbled on to your blog via your comment on Brad's blog. My husband was diagnosed with AML in October of last year. He's since had a bone marrow transplant, and is doing great. You can read about our experiences on my blog...respectfullysassy.blogspot.com.
Hang in there!

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!