Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Monday, November 3, 2008

November 3, 2008



It is 4:30pm & I have been at the James since about 9:30am. I am in room 1063B South. The room phone number is (614)293-5187. They are not starting my Chemo until around 8pm tonight. I am anxious to get this round over with. I don't know why they brought me in so early this morning just to have me wait so long.

They took a ton of blood for all of my lab draws but my PICC was not cooperating. They are going to do an A&C on it to "Rotorooter" it out. My blood was clotting faster then they could draw it from the line, it was real stringy & gross looking.

They went ahead & started me on an IV to load up on the fluids to cushion my kidneys for the high dose Citerbine. My Dr. is the floor doc all this week so I do not have to deal with the Dr. that I did not get along with to well the last half of my admission the first go round. My Dr. has a very good bedside manner, actually listens to me & answers all my questions.

The Researcher for my Clinical Trials was excited to see me doing so well. She did reiterate that I need to be very careful though because she has had some bad luck with infections lately with her good patients.She almost lost one of them, so Marcus snitched on me about mowing the grass yesterday & she got on my butt about it.

I was going to try & smuggle Spike in with me but Marc said no, I had him laying in bed with me this morning, he is not going to know how to act this week with me not there to hold him.

I forgot my camera cord at the house so I will have to wait until Marcus brings it in to me tomorrow to post pictures from today.

6 comments:

Aunt Lynn said...

Sandi, you better listen to what the researcher about being careful, I'm sure she knows what she's talking about & much better safe than sorry, yeah? Try to relax and maybe the time will pass quicker than you think. I'll be there in spirit with you everyday. Spike will be lost for a day or two while he adjusts but he'll be too happy to see you when you get back home. So, listen to what they are telling you about precautions so you can get back there as soon as possible. I love you, Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi sweetie, i am glad you have the dr. on duty that you like,that will make the hospital stay a little more bearable, maybe.i hope the treatment goes well. this is one time you really need to listen to the researcher, she has your best interest at heart.please be carful and take precautions.there is nothing we want to happen to jeopardize your recovery.you mean the world to a lot of people.as my dad would ,say keep your pretty chin up.your are in my thoughts and prayers.i love you. love,aunt bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe.... you know it's a funny thing about DOGS...they bounce from owner to owner and if that owner is good to them they are just great......Spike has been fine today and he will continue to be fine until you get back.....kids on the other hand are a diffenent matter.....enough said !!!I got a flue shot today...yuck!!! I promised Zack that I would take him to the park tomorrow after school so he is in a good mood...thank you God....Marcus was drilling holes through Buckeyes all night.....I'm sure you know why, I don't really!!! Zackery came home and wanted a snack...get this....a pizza, saltines, vanilla pudding that I made today and a glass of milk...I asked him if he ate his lunch and he replied that, "yes I did but that was a long, long time ago"...out of the mouth of babes!!!
Got to go.....have a good night...lots of love, Misty.....the sleeping pill is finally working !!! Thank God for that one....

Ruth Gerding said...

Sandi,

Please do take it a little easy. I know you are strong in mind,but some times our bodies aren't as strong as our minds....you are doing well and keep the spirit so you kick this by the end of the year. You are missed in the Planners world of Public Health.

Ruth

Aunt Lynn said...

Morning Sandi,
Hope everything went well last night & that you don't feel too rough this morning. I just wanted you to know you're always in my thoughts and prayers, Hope you have a good day, I love you.
Aunt Lynn

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy: The people at the James are good people. I know it isn't where you want to be today, but when you look back on this time in your life, you will be so grateful for them. I know that I am.
Hi Lynn.

My wish for you today is a good belly laugh cause you have such a pretty smile.

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!