Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Wednesday, November 5, 2008

November 5, 2008


Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
3 Nov-----62-----6.4--------?---------11.7--------187--------- N/A
4 Nov-----63-----7.1--------?---------11.1--------173--------- N/A
5 Nov-----64-----4.6--------?---------11.6--------168----------N/A

I posted my labs since admission above I will be asking my nurse tomorrow for my neutraphils since I do not have the detailed lab reports to calculate it. I am still on a regular diet. Once my counts drop they will put me on a neutrapenic diet.

I had a much better day today than yesterday. I was able to eat lunch & dinner. I have also been able to send out some thank you letters & e-mails. I still have a roommate & we are getting along real well. She may get to go home tomorrow.

I started my 2nd dose of Chemo at 8:45pm. They pre-medicated me at 8pm with 2-Zoframs & a Dexamethasone injection. This will hopefully keep the nausea away, but as I am sitting her typing I am already starting to sweat so we will see, it could be the night sweats, they are relentless. They are giving me the Valtrex as an antiviral & I am back on the Nexium, they also have me on the Decadron steriod eye drops 4 times per day.

I found this on another cancer site & it cracked me up because it is a good way to explain chemo brain with a sick sense of humor...

Chemo Brain
10) Swear to everyone that you were a blonde before you lost your hair.
9) Tell people that your brain, "temporarily shuts down during chemo to prevent excessive loss of brain cells."
8) Spend the next 20 minutes trying to actually remember and articulate #9.
7) When your brain gives out and you stumble over a sentence, look the person directly in the eye and say, "Did you catch all that?"
6) Wait, what was I talking about?
5) Look at your oncologist and say, "Whoa! You're treating me for WHAT?!?"
4) Proudly announce that, "At least it doesn't affect my ability to drive!"
3) (For the Girls) Tell everyone it gives you a chance to live in a man's shoes for a change (For the Guys) Hey, now you have a legitimate excuse to forget birthdays and anniversaries.
2) Wait, what was I talking about?
1) When all else fails, just pretend you're having flashbacks from 'Nam... even if you weren't born until 1982.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi honey, i hope your night went ok.hopefully all those meds helped the throwing up factor.how many days of treatments do you have to take this time? i hope your roommate is company for you. the kids are probably anxiously awaiting to hear how this round is going and when you will be back home.remember each hour is an hour closer to being back home.we all love you very much.you always have such a sweet smile,be sure to smile today things will get better. love you,aunt bonnie

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi, glad to hear they're getting you the meds sooner to help with the nausea. I didn't know they used Dexamethasone on people, we use it at the vet clinic, I'll be asking my Dr's about that today. Hope you have a good day. I'll call you this evening, I love you!!
Aunt Lynn

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!