Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Friday, December 19, 2008

December 19, 2008

6 Days until Christmas!

Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
4 Dec------93----4.4------3,800-------9.2--------196------------N/A
5 Dec------94----3.5------3,400-------9.3--------170------------N/A
6 Dec------95----3.9----Unknown----9.9--------175------------N/A
8 Dec------97----2.9------2,600------9.8--------106------------N/A
11 Dec-----100---0.3----------0-------9.1----------31--------------N/A
15 Dec-----104---0.4----------0-------7.8-----------2-------1 Unit Platelet
16 Dec-----105---0.4----------0-------7.3---------3--1 Blood & 1 Platelet
17 Dec-----106---0.6--------168-------9.0-----------1-----1 Unit Platelet
18 Dec-----107---1.3---------90-------8.5-----------2-----1 Unit Platelet
19 Dec-----108---2.6-------1300-------8.6-----------4-----1 Unit Platelet

I awoke this morning to Spike in my Bed. Marc usually takes him to work with him in the morning so it was a pleasant surprise. He laid with me a lot on the couch last night with me so I took him to bed with us, he usually sleeps with Paige. Marc must have figured we needed so time together.

It is raining today, what was ice ice turned into a nice slush & then everything was just wet. The temperature was 34 when I dropped the kids off at school & headed to the hospital for my lab draws. I was amazed to see the sun come out for a brief smile before the rains came back this afternoon.

Our other child in the house, his name is I don't know or I didn't do it has been playing pranks on me. The latest one involves a load of whites I put in the washer. When I got home from the hospital & was putting them in the dryer low & behold there was a red hand towel in there that wasn't there when I started the washing machine. Thank god the bleach must have already ran through because nothing turned pink or I would have blown up for sure.


Sue, my RN, was scheduled off today but she came in for me. The rash & all the bruises are still there the only new ones that I can tell are on the sides of my head. Speaking of my head, in spots my hair is growing. It looks like peach fuzz only a little longer in patches. I think for every hair that grows another one falls out. I am constantly finding these little hairs in my head caps. Anyway, Sue used the Highway Patrol to get my Platelets again today, they are 4 so at least they came up a little bit. I am loving my ANC number increase, once I hit 5,000 I can quit taking the Neupogen shots, I am running out of places to shoot it because everything is so bruised up not to mention here lately they have been stinging & hurting like heck when I shoot it.


Dorene Burkhart & Viola Webber from the Ohio Department of Health, Office of Public Health Preparedness came out to the house today bearing all kinds of gifts for our family from my friends & colleagues. Everyone up at ODH has been so supportive through phone calls, prayers, visits, gifts & Finical donations. It feels so good to know that we are cared about so much. Thank you so much to everyone up at ODH & especially to Dorene & Viola for making the trip to our home, I miss all of you!

I was talking to Dorene & Viola before they left, I have to say I was having a real hard time at first even asking for help, I almost felt guilty about it because Marc & I have always taken care of ourselves. In the past we have been through some really hard times between my Iraq War deployments , Brandon & Paige's Mothers death, it was really tough on everyone but somehow we always got through it together. After many conversations with others (My sister Sharon, Aunt Lynn, Dorene & Viola, etc) It has taken awhile but I am finally understanding that it is not placing a burden on other people, that people genuinely want to help us & they will not put themselves out to do it. My sister told me yesterday "it's not like you put yourself in this situation Sandi, people want to help you & it makes them feel good doing it so quit beating yourself up about it". I have to say it can be very overwhelming at moments just how much people really do care & want to see me make it through this. I never really knew how much until now & it makes me feel so warm on the inside & I am fighting that much harder each day.

I take my ANC count increase as a sign that things are on the up & up for next week. I can't think of a better way to end this week because this week has been a rough week for me physically & mentally. I hope all of you enjoy your weekend, I plan to make the most of mine. Happy Holidays everybody!

3 comments:

Ian said...

The ANC counts rising is for sure a good thing Rooster, hang in there....

Ian

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
Way to go on those counts!!! And, for Mr I don't know may not understand the whites & clored system....lol You need to involve him in the laundry process as part of his punishment for a long time. He'll be able to do the laundry for the whole family by the time he's 8. I'm glad all the ice melted for you guys, people in Defiance area are still dealing with 3" of ice and no power. We're getting ready for round 2 of a blizzard. We got dumped on last night with around 6" and looking for another 8" tomorrow. I had to kick the door open to get out to go to work this morning & winter doesn't even start until sunday!! Isn't it spring yet? I want you to enjoy your weekend but don't wear yourself out either. Take care babe, stay warm & I love you.
Aunt Lynn

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
Hope all is well. I've been checking in looking for new posts, don't let me rush you....lol I'm just praying the kids have you too busy & you're not at the hospital. Also, hope you had a great weekend. We got pounded with more snow & looking forward to more starting tonight, we will have a wjite Christmas, just wish we could share some of the snow. I have heard that Ohio really got dumped on with about 3" of ice in places & were without power for several days too, hope it didn't affect you guys. Well, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you & praying for you wether you're posting or not. I love & miss you bunches!!
Aunt Lynn

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!