Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Wednesday, December 3, 2008

December 3, 2008

News Update:
I have been moved to a private room at the James. I am still on the 8th floor, but I am now in room 833. The phone number to my room is (614) 293-5559.


Free Clipart



Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
19 Nov------78----26.9----14,000------8.3--------11----------1 Unit P
21 Nov------80-----12-----9,300-------7.9---------55---------1 Unit B
24 Nov------83----5.1-----2,200------10.1--------179-------------N/A
28 Nov------87----2.2-----1,500-------9.9---------286------------N/A
1 Dec------90----3.4-----Unknown----10.0--------255------------N/A
2 Dec------91----4.0-----Unknown----10.5--------250------------N/A
3 Dec------92----5.0-----Unknown-----9.5--------183------------N/A

Since I am not on the 10th floor the nurses are not providing me with my ANC Counts even though I have requested them, so I will see if my Nurse Practitioner will get them for me later. I am assuming since my White Blood cell counts have been above 2.2 each day my ANC has to be above 1,500 so that is a good thing.

They got my daily medications figured out late in the afternoon yesterday. I was getting worried because they did not have any orders for me except for the Chemo, the dreaded Dexamethasone eye drops & Dexamethazone pills along with Zafram for nausea. There were no orders for my antiviral, anti fungal or the antibiotics until later in the evening.

My day got a little depressing in the afternoon, my roommates doctor called her entire family in for a meeting to inform them she was dying. At first you could hear a pen drop & then her daughters just started sobbing. I had just got out of the shower & was sitting on my bed when the Dr did this, it was horrible. I could not get out of the room initially because they had so many people in there & they were blocking the door. I felt so out of place & it was so awkward for me I felt like I was intruding on a very personal moment, to top it if she was not that much older than me. When I finally did get out of the room I stayed out in the hallway for a very long time. I could hardly walk back my bones were hurting so much. I was gone so long that when I got back into my room they had already moved her out to a private room.

I talked to Marcus he is going to come up to see me tonight after he goes home & checks on the family. Speaking of which, poor Zack had another bad day at school. His teacher called me, he had two episodes with kicking at other kids. She put him on blue the first time & then later on the playground he did it again so she moved him to red & that is when I got the phone call. She talked with him about him & she wanted me to know he was very upset & made said to her at one point I just don't want my mommy to be sick. I was able to talk with him when he got home from school & Marc did as well. Zack did calm down a little & read me his book for homework & even kissed my picture on the phone & hugged the phone. I miss all the kids but I must say Zack is the most dependent right now, he really needs me the most because he does not understand what is really going on.

By 8pm I had such a raging headache from all of the days activities, the chemo & lack of sleep for days they gave me any Oxycodone & 2 Tylenol. I was still up at 1am so they gave me some Benadryl to try to help me sleep. I think I finally fell asleep sometime after 2am. So far with this round of Chemo it has not taken too bad of a toll on my body, most importantly no nausea no fevers. The other issues I can handle much better even it may not sound like it some days, I will take them over puking any day.

A big thank you goes out to Bill Davies, Patricia Knox & Angie Hunsinger for their very generous donations to my Leukemia Support Fund. The hospital, speciality services & pharmacy bills are steadily pouring in so I know at some point in the near future I will need to readjust my original fundraising goal especially since we had no idea what the costs would be when we set it up. Surprisingly we are getting by better than we expected thanks to all of your help. So far I have been able to set up a payment plan with Mount Carmel, The James will be next. Most importantly I have been able to to utilize the donated funds to cover the out of pocket prescription costs which have to paid for up front. So thank you so much again to all of you, we could not get through this with out all you love, prayers & support.

5 comments:

bluetew said...

Sandi, thank you for your updates. I wish there was more I could do thank check in on your blog everyonce in a while and pray for you and your family. I will especially be praying for Zach. I hope you don't feel I am intruding since I don't know you very well and you share your life on this blog. Even though I don't know you as well as I would like to, I care for you very much and consider it a priviledge to review your blog and pray for you. Thank you! God bless you!~tonya warren

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetheart, you are right, Zack needs his Mom more than the other kids I think. I hope that you will take that into consideration when you come home. He cme into my room this morning and said " Grandma, thank you so much, you packed all of my favorite foods for lunch." I said, " Well, what did I pack?" and he said....."bacon and grapes and crackers and pudding and I love them." I asked him if he would try and be a good boy today and he said, " I'll try but it's really hard." He crawled in my bed and we watched the trailers for The Mask until he had to get his coat on for school. I feel so sooy for him because he misses you so much. Enough of that....I'm so sorry that you had to be in the room when your room mates family was called in...that is so difficult..and so sad. Thank God you are ok at this point...I don't know what Marc and the kids would do without you...i CAN ONLY DO SO MUCh and sonetimes I do the wrong things because I care so much...you hang in there Babe and please ask Marc to fix my car...I need it to go to the grocery store.Much Love, Misty

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Babe,
How horrible for you to have to listen to them talking to your roomate & her family. I am so sorry you had to endure that. I'm also sorry Zack is having such a hard time missing his mommy but hopefully you'll be home this weekend and he'll adjust once again. Keep your head up Babe & try not to let the days events dampen your strong spirit. Take care, I love you!!
Aunt Lynn

BILL BOOHER said...

HEY SANDI WHATS UP! I HAVENT BEEN ON HERE LATELY HOPE YOUR DOING WELL. WHE JUST HAD ARE BABY BOY C-SECTION TODAY. 8LBS 14OZ 20 1/2" EVERYTHING WENT GREAT. I WAS GOING TO LOOK INTO DONATING AND APRIL SHOULD BE ABLE TO KNOW AFTER THE PREGNECY. SHE IT O+, IM A+. HANG IN THERE I'LL TRY TO TALK TO YA SOON.

BBOOHER@WOH.RR.COM

Unknown said...

hi sweetheart, what an exhausting day.i feel so bad for that other family.zack is young and any time your mom or dad is sick it is very hard.i hope the teacher is seeing the pattern of his bad days going along with the days you are in hospital.the other kids need you too,they just know how to hide it better than zack can.take care and do what they tell you to.hopefully, you will be home soon.we love you, love aunt bonnie.

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!