Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Monday, December 8, 2008

December 8, 2008

It feels so good to be home.

I got out of the James Saturday afternoon when the weather was horrible. It seemed like forever before Kim & I made it back to London. We must have passed at least 30 cars that had wrecked or slid off into the ditch.

Marcus got home from Brandon's wrestling meet later than I expected due to the weather. Brandon won his first match but did not do so good his other 2 matches. Needless to say he was in a grumpy mood the rest of the weekend because of this.

So I was thinking we were not going to go to my units Christmas Party with the bad weather & all. Well I was wrong, it took us awhile to get there but Marc made sure we made it. It felt good to be back in the building & around old friends. I was able to introduce Marc to people he has only heard about for years. There were also so many new people that I did not recognize as well, kinda made me feel a little old. My Wingman MSgt Drake & my old supervisor Maj Sandusky were at the party, they are working with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. They have chosen me as their hero they are running for this Spring in the Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati. Many of my friends are deployed or in the process of being deployed so they were not there, so please keep them in your thoughts & prayers as well, this is one of the toughest times of the year to be deployed & away from your family. We were headed home shortly after 9pm , I had a good time & that was well worth the trip.

Sunday was a really nice down day for the whole family. We made pizza & watched movies. It was just a stress free day. Later in the evening I started feeling a little rough last night. I can't explain it I just didn't feel right. Everything seemed wobbly to me & I was real spacey to. The Dr. did put me on Neurontin this was only the second day of it so I am not sure if it has side effects that I am not used to or what. I am back on the Neupogen shots as well which I hate giving myself. They tend to stimulate an excessive amount of bone & joint pain.

While I was spacing out on the couch I think the whole Cancer thing caught up to Marcus, or it was really starting to wear him down. I don't know how to but I wish I could make this easier for him. He tried to hide it from me, but I saw him crying & it just broke my heart. He was always the mellow one, now he gets frustrated with the kids quicker than he used to & he is on edge a lot more. He is also trying to quit smoking which may be wearing him down as well. He has been taking Chantix for about 2 weeks now, he said he is doing pretty good with it, but that he can really tell when it wears off. It's weird I am usually the one in the house that gets spun up over everything but here lately I am the one that is more laid back. Call it lack of energy but I think there is more to it. There is something to be said about life changing moments & being diagnosed with leukemia is a life changing moment.

Paige had a low grade fever last night & this morning she was 101.6 so she is bed bound. I told her she needs to stay in bed & unfortunately away from me. I cannot get a fever or I will be admitted back in the hospital.

This morning I was slow to get out of bed The other kids were all off to school by the time I made my way downstairs. I went in & had my labs drawn at 10am so I should get my results this afternoon. It was good to see my RN Sue, she changed my PICC dressing because the one the James put on was all jacked up, I have a nice raw skin outline around my arm where the tape ripped all the skin off, its nuts I tell ya.

Really nothing else to report for now, I will update frequently but maybe not daily.
Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
28 Nov------87----2.2-----1,500-------9.9--------286------------N/A
1 Dec------90----3.4------2,270------10.0--------255------------N/A
2 Dec------91----4.0------3,500------10.5--------250------------N/A
3 Dec------92----5.0------4,400-------9.5--------183------------N/A
4 Dec------93----4.4------3,800-------9.2--------196------------N/A
5 Dec------94----3.5------3,400-------9.3--------170------------N/A
6 Dec------95----3.9----Unknown----9.9--------175------------N/A
8 Dec------97----2.9------2,600------9.8--------106------------N/A

3 comments:

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
Hope you're having a good evening & Paige is feeling better soon. I know how Marc feels even though you're not my wife the thought of losing you makes me break down whenever I think about it. And, I know as much as you want to take or ease his pain there's nothing you can do for him or any of us except kick this thing in the ass!!! And, maybe this isn't the best time for Marc to try to quit smoking...my doctor told me to deal with one thing at a time. Maybe he should wait until you kick this. By the way I believe with my whole heart & soul that you will kick this.
Well, I'm glad you made it to & from the party ok, the weather has been crappy here too. Take it easy Babe & stay warm. I Love & miss you all!!!
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi sweetheart,i am glad you got to go to the party.the roads were so bad i am glad you guys had a safe trip. hopefully paige will be feeling better tonight.marc has held it together for so long that he needs to let go every once in a while just for a healthy release. he loves you so much ,that sometimes it must be overwhelming that he can't just fix this for you.we all love you so much and knowing how tough you are, we are sure you will beat this thing.is katie going to be in ohio for her birthday? we love you.love, aunt bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hallo Sandi,
Glad that you and Marcus get to go to the Christmas party. I am not one for the unit parties but sometimes you just have to go to those damn things and play the politics. In reading your posts it seems like you are continuing in your battle agaist the big "L". just remember you are going to have some up days and some down days. But no matter what type of day your having we are all praying for you. And Aunt Lynn is right, with one exception (sorry Aunt Lynn), place the kick just a lil anterior to the posterior!! KICK THIS THING IN THE NADZ GIRL !!! I will see you soon, and give you and marcu a call as soon as I get back to WPAFB.
Take Care,
Bill "Big Daddy" LaRue

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!