Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Tuesday, December 30, 2008

December 30, 2008

It's Time to Roll up your sleeves
I am very excited to share with you that for those of you that will be in the Lima area on January 8th from 8:00-2:30 there will be a Blood Drive dedicated to me at the Allen County Department of Job & Family Services 1501 S. Dixie Hwy.Lima, OH 45804 (in the old Westinghouse building). I believe this will be open to the public (walk-ins welcome), however if anyone knows ahead of time they want to participate please call Tracy Hollar @ 419-999-0297 for possible scheduling. My Aunt Debe has been working real hard with her employer & they have made great strides in making this a very coordinated effort with multiple agencies involved. Unfortunately I will be in the James at the time of the Blood Drive undergoing my 4th & hopefully final round of hospitalized Chemotherapy but I will definitely be there in spirit!

Things have been busy this week. I still have not started taking down Christmas decorations, I may not get to this until after I get out of the hospital. The kids are home & we have been playing Wii a lot as a family which is kinda cool, Zack is almost to the pro status in bowling, Paige is right behind him. I suck, but it's fun. My recovery this round has not went as well as I would have hoped for. I keep expecting that things will go as well as the time before & so far they were. Other than being weaker and the pain being more intense then usual my biggest concern is my low ANC counts, it just takes one little flu bug to wipe me out. I hate living in fear of that, hopefully I will get good news tomorrow with my labs that my counts are back up again & all this worrying will be for nothing.

We ran out to look at paint tonight for Marc to paint over the Fun Yellow color Misty had the entire addition painted, needless to say I picked Ancient Marble which is a much softer tone. I was irritated after Misty moved out & Marc told me we were going to put our bedroom in there because the way Misty designed the room was not my preferred choice when we had the addition built for her last year. But Marc has convinced me with changing the paint color & my diminished capacity with this cancer(not tolerating the stairs well)it will be ok. Marc & Brandon got 2 loads of Misty's stuff moved to her new apartment. I did not realize she had so much stuff & she is unable to move most of herself. When she was ready to move in with us I paid a mover, well a lot has happened since then & I can't afford to have a mover move her out. If everything goes according to plans good friends of ours will be helping us move the rest of Misty's large furniture out on New Year's Day.

Brandon has a 2 day wrestling tournament this weekend & he is trying to cut weight, he was not feeling to good tonight after practice. I told Marc we need to watch him a little closer & make sure he doesn't cut too much weight too fast if he does me & him are going to have words. He is all muscle as it is & I don't think he fully understands how dangerous it is to cut weight. He thinks because the school tests their body fat at the beginning of the season that it is ok to drop down to that lowest point. His lowest class he can drop to is 145 & he easily weighed between 157-160 last week,he doesn't always listen to the voice of reason.

I posted information below about a benefit the London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls are holding for me. I will continue to post this information along with the Blood Drive information at the bottom of each post until they have occurred. Thank you all for your support.

Benefit Scheduled
Many of you who know me may remember I used to be on the Board & the Treasurer for the London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls when Katie & Paige were in Rainbow. I was contacted by Mom Wendy Hall, Mother Advisor from The London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls & they are holding a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit for me on January 24th from 5:00 pm-7:00 pm at the Chandler Lodge located at 65 North Main Street, London Ohio. The Menu will be Spaghetti, sauce with meatballs, bread & butter, salad with dressing & a drink for $5.00. Desserts will be available for a donation & you can dine in or carryout is available. If you would like any information please contact Keith Hall @ 614-302-0431or airforcekeith@sbcglobal.net

2 comments:

Aunt Lynn said...

Morning Sandi,
How cool is that , them holding a blood drive for you!! I'll be calling & emailing all my friends in Lima with the info so they all can go donate. And a spaghetti super to benefit you, how nice, I am continually thankfull for all the special people you have in your life. I am praying both events turn out to be monsters for you. Some of my in-laws have Wii's & I hear they can be a real workout to play, not your typical video game to veg-out & play, very interactive. I sure hope you guys can get it throught to Brandon not to drop too much too fast especially since he doesn't have much body fat to lose. But, I'm sure you & Marc can remember as well as I do how well teenagers listen....lol And, those christmas decorations will be there when you feel like getting to them or when someone can do it for you, heck I know people that leave them up until spring & if I put up outdoor ones that would be me too! I agree with Marc that you can make the addition more to your liking with a new paint color and when you get your stuff in there it will be much better for you. I like the idea that you won't have to deal with steps all the time and I'm sure you will too once you get moved in there. Thank God for good friends & family to help you guys move her stuff and paint. I believe Elaine, Debe & Amber are planning on coming this weekend to help paint, provided no one gets sick. But, don't worry, I believe all things happen for a reason even though we may not be able to recognize the reason right away & it will all work out. Well, I need to get ready for work, I'm hoping you don't have as much pain today & that your alpaca hat comes in the mail today. Take care & never forget how much I love you.
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi honey,i am so excited that you are having a blood drive here in lima.i don't think uncle steve can donate again till the 13th.i had a test yesterday at the hospital to see if i have hemochromitosis like my brother.if i have this i don't think i can be a blood donor.it will take 4-5 days to get the tests they had to send out back.i hope all the info will say i don't have it and that we get the results back before the 8th. i feel so bad that i have not been more help to you thru this trying time.i wish i could be there to help you. i think of you all the time and pray for you.i believe you will grow to enjoy your bedroom being downstairs.it should be bigger and you can have kind of a mini apt./get away room for quiet if you need it.the decorations can be up till july if need be. i know that would drive you crazy.i hope to get to see you soon.i hope brandon will listen to you and marcus his health should come 1st. i would think being the heaviest weight in a class would be better if you were still fast , but, i have never been a wrestler.hope your day goes well today and your numbers are good.i love you bunches.love aunt bonnie.

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!