Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Tuesday, December 2, 2008

December 2, 2008


Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
19 Nov------78----26.9------14,000------8.3--------11---------1 Unit P
21 Nov------80-----12-------9,300------7.9---------55---------1 Unit B
24 Nov------83----5.1-------2,200-----10.1--------179------------N/A
28 Nov------87----2.2-------1,500------9.9--------286------------N/A
1 Dec------90----3.4-------Unknown---10.0--------255------------N/A
2 Dec------91----4.0-------Unknown---10.5--------250------------N/A

They started my Chemo last night about 10:30pm & I am now on my second dose which started at 10:45am today.

I found out the 8th floor at the James is the Ear,Nose & Throat along with cervical cancer floor. I have a roommate that is receiving more intensive care so I did not sleep much last night. My room is freezing cold, I tried to change the thermostat but it was broke. The maintenance crew came in about 12:40am & we found out the temperature was 68 degrees in the room, burr, my anemia can't handle that to well. They adjusted it to 74 after messing with it for half an hour. My roommates family came in this morning for a family meeting & she was hot so they dialed it back down so I am adding on the blankets, I am up to 4 of them now.

I talked to my Dr. last night about the night sweats, she is telling me it is from the hormone shot that is stopping my bleeding & putting me into menopause. I took the same shot years ago for birth control & never had these problems so I think the Chemo has to be playing into the severity of the sweats a little bit. Then Marc had to put his two cents in & snitched on me about the chest pain I was having at home.I have had a complete cardiac work up so that does not worry me to much. I need to tell him like I told Misty Snitches get stitches LOL. My Dr. did get a hold of my Ophthalmologist about my vision problems I had last time. He told her it was more than likely a hereditary issue & not related to the Chemo & could be corrected with surgery. I think that he is way off on that one. I never had any problems with my vision until I started the HIDAC Chemo. I go back to see him on the 9th when I get out. My Nurse Practitioner thinks that there is more to it than that as well, so we will have to wait it out & see what happens this time.

My Nurse put in to have me moved up to the 10th floor but they are so full up there it does not look like that will happen but well see. I got a Card in the mail from Sonja that was from my 1st admission to the James where they sent it back to her. She sent it to my house to show me how delayed they are with the mail. I also got her & Michael's Blood donor cards, thank you. I talked with my Aunt Debe last week & I did not realize she to was a first time blood donor when she found out I was diagnosed with AML & now she donates religiously. She is also going through her work & two other agency's to try to host a blood drive in my honor & Debe is also a registered Bone Marrow Donor. I am just amazed & honored everyday by the tremendous efforts people are making.

When I was out of the hospital this last time I was trying to get Marc to do a family photo so we could get our Christmas Cards done a little earlier this year. Well I still don't have the photo yet so everyone will have to stand by for those.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetheart, you hand in there, ok ??? Vision, night sweats ( been there, done that ), anything else that comes along with this hateful thing, you are strong enough to look it straight in the face and say, ".....uck you", which I can visualize you saying !!!! Just hang on and in awhile you will be your old self...actually, not sure if if that is good or bad ...ha...love you, Misty

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
Hope you're having a better day today. You'd think they could match you up with a roommate that is of the same temp needs as you instead of the oposite, dang!! It really sadens me to hear that the cancer hospital is so full there's no room where you need to be, my prayers go out to them all and the staff that care for them. I'll be happy to have a family photo whenever it gets taken doesn't have to be for Christmas. Sounds to me like you need a new opthamologist and that one needs to go back to school!!! What wrong with saying I don't know, if you don't know you don't know dang don't make some shit up to try to make something sound good!! These crazy ass doctors are lucky I'm not in Ohio!! Well, hopefuly they'll get it together for you. Take care, I love you & we'll talk soon.
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi honey,i am sorry your room conditions are not very good. you would think that the heat in the rooms would be adjusted at a happy medium for everyone. i hope you can get some sleep tonight. it is unbelievable how many people are in just that cancer hospital, i guess we never take the time to realize how many people have these health problems till it touches our own family members.that eye dr. needs to rethink his comments to your other dr. you have never had these problems. your nurse practitioner seems to be more on the ball than your drs. sometimes.glad she is there.hope your day goes ok tomorrow.the whole class prayed for you today. they know you have started another round ,so you will be in there prayers daily again.i love you bunches .talk to you soon. love, aunt bonnie

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!