Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Wednesday, December 24, 2008

December 24, 2008




Happy Christmas Eve!

Yesterday was so busy I did not have time to post. I had to update the MLMC website with the 2009 Calendar of events, take Brandon to wrestling, than pick him up & take him to the Dr. I am happy to report it is not MERSA on Brandon's wrist, she thinks he may have got something under the skin that caused an infection. From there we went to Walmart to drop of his prescriptions, plus the last minute Santa stuff & get groceries.

When we got home the fun did not stop. I don't know where I got the energy from but I emptied out the refrigerator & cleaned it thoroughly. It seemed to take forever because to get the shelves in & out you have to do it in a certain order & needless to say it took longer than I planned. It does however look brand new on the inside now, Marc came home from work & said "Holy S**t" when he saw it.

Paige & Katie were a great help with Zack, they worked on his Christmas break activity pack with him & he is done with the whole thing. He also has a list of other activities we still have to complete before he goes back to school. Katie leaves the 26th to see her dad in Louisiana. This will be the first year she is flying down there unattended & I am nervous about it. I borrowed a friends Boost cell phone to send with her so she can call us both every step of the way. Hopefully the weather will cooperate & she will not have any trouble making her connections.

I made Marc & the kids sit down & make a menu with me so I know what to cook for the week. Last night I made toasted subs, I can't mess that one up. Marc always teases me because there are very few things that I can cook what he calls real home cooked meals & not something out of a box, but I try. It is going to take a little bit for me to get back in the swing of things, Misty was a really great cook.

I had a real nasty fall on the ice last night except for that I have been feeling pretty good for the most part. Santa was in wrapping mode last night & early this morning.

So today is Christmas Eve & I am mailing our Christmas Cards out today, Katie & Paige were outstanding helpers with the envelopes I could not print the labels from the computer so they hand wrote everything. Were sorry they are so late this year, but better late than never. Thank you so much Aunt Sue & Uncle David, I got your card today with your words of encouragement & another very generous donation for my medical fund.

Zack is super hyper-excited, he can't wait for Santa to come tonight. Zack, Paige, Katie & I are going to make sugar cookies with me this afternoonish, Zack won't stop asking can we make them now, it is too funny. I remember when our 3 teenagers in the house used to get that excited. Later tonight we will all sit down & read Twas the Night Before Christmas & then they can open their presents from Grandma.

Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
11 Dec-----100---0.3----------0-------9.1----------31--------------N/A
15 Dec-----104---0.4----------0-------7.8-----------2-------1 Unit Platelet
16 Dec-----105---0.4----------0-------7.3---------3--1 Blood & 1 Platelet
17 Dec-----106---0.6--------168-------9.0-----------1-----1 Unit Platelet
18 Dec-----107---1.3---------90-------8.5-----------2-----1 Unit Platelet
19 Dec-----108---2.6-------1300-------8.6-----------4-----1 Unit Platelet
20 Dec-----109---5.2-------4300-------8.6-----------43----1 Unit Platelet
22 Dec-----111---12.3------10800------8.6-----------23--------------N/A
24 Dec-----113----3.3-------1400------7.3-----------45----1 Unit of Blood

As you can see my hemoglobin dropped so I had to go in & get an infusion today. My ANC is bottoming out so I am back on the Neupogen shots until Friday at a minimum, My RN Sue is going to come in (even though she has the day off) to draw my labs to make sure my labs are good & to give me an infusion if I need another one.

I don't plan to post tomorrow but we'll see, just on case I don't I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi & Family,
Hope this finds you all doing well. You'll get back into the swing of cooking it's like riding a bike, you never forget you just have to drag yourself into the kitchen....lol I bet Zack is too excited, I can remember you guys being that way too. It is so much fun for me watching the little ones be so excited. Hopefully the teenagers will enjoy it too. I'll be praying for Miss Katie to have safe travels, I don't think I would want to be in her position based on the news this morning. But, if she doesn't have to go through Chicago maybe it will be better. Good idea sending the phone with her!! I did not send any cards out this year & I've gotten more this year than any other I think, needless to say I'm feeling a little guilty now for not sending any. Well, I hope you all have a very good Christmas & we'll be thinking about you. We go to Dennis' parents this evening but we'll be home tomorrow, I will try to call to wish you all a Merry Christmas. Hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell, I know about falling, I think I fell a total of 5 times last year. Anyway, stay warm, take care & I love you, talk to you soon.
Aunt Lynn

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!