Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Tuesday, December 9, 2008

December 9, 2008


The weather has went from one extreme to another here. Where it was cold & icy last Saturday, today it is unseasonably warm in the high 40's & very wet.

I woke up this morning to the beginning stages of white out/tunnel vision. I was hoping that it was a one time freak occurrence with the last round. I suspect at the rate I am going, by tomorrow or Thursday I will not be able to see at all again. I did go in & see my Opthamologist . He still believes that I have Cornea dystrophy but that the vision problems I am currently having are unrelated to the dystrophy & it was a fluke that he caught it. He said the dystrophy may be an issue when I reach 50. He believes the tunnel vision/white out is directly related to my Chemo treatments, it is affecting my ability to lubricate my eyes, he said this should not cause any long term damage but they are keeping a close eye on it LOL.

This week should get real interesting, I won't be able to see & I am much weaker than last time, I have been hobbling around like an old woman. Literally every move I make you can hear my bones & joints cracking. It's pretty loud Marc thought it was the floor making the noise last night.

I look at my Blog everyday for the comments & to see the different locations people from around the world are checking up on me from. I am so encouraged by the number of visits my site has received. There are days this all still seems surreal to me, usually its the good days. The not so good days there really is no way to deny it.

Sending a huge thank you out to Sharon White for her very generous donation to my Leukemia Fund. Each time we get a donation whether it is large or small it never ceases to amaze me. Times are tough, people are being laid off from their jobs, the cost of gas is down but the cost of milk is up.

Marc & I sat down tonight to look at where we are at financially with treating my cancer. Once I was diagnosed the original plan was to try & raise $2500 this year. We based this amount on what we each had in both of our savings accounts. We assumed that would be enough for the medical deductibles & copy's so we tapped those instantly, thank god we had something put back. I think I said this in a previous post but when this bomb dropped we had no idea what we were going to have to foot upfront, what would be covered by my insurance, what would not be covered by insurance & the prescription costs. We have just started to complete the 3rd phase of my inpatient chemotherapy treatment.

Realistically best I can tell, it is costing us a little over $2500 upfront as I go through each phase of treatment (& this is with, in my opinion, pretty good insurance). I have not had any major complications (knock on wood). So at this point I am adjusting our fundraising goal to $5,000. Everyone who knows me, knows that I am a realist first so when I set the original goal I did not want to set one that was unrealistic. Now I must say that everyone who knows me, would tell ya in the past I have also been an adamant pessimist. So I can't believe that we have almost surpassed the original fundraising goal I set. Among other things I have since had to change my way of looking at life, being a pessimist is one thing I will not miss.

As we continue to fight this cancer, we really have no idea what that dollar amount is going to be when we start the 42 weeks of outpatient chemotherapy. No matter how much that amount may be, it really does not matter much because I know I am worth it. All of you are responsible in one form or another for me being here now through your prayers, your support, the donations you all are saving my life & I just want you all to know that we really do appreciate everything that everyone is doing for us.

5 comments:

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
I'm sure everyone that knows you knows how hard it is for you to ask for help & that any and all of us would do anything to help save your life. I just wish I could take away all your pain & worries as you go through this chemo...and did I read right, you have 42 more weeks of chemo to go through?? Well, I'm praying I read that wrong. Just take it easy at home and let everyone else do what needs to be done, you need to rest. Praying you don't have as much pain tomorrow, you know what they say though...no pain no gain..just kidding..smile for me!! I love you so much Sandi, words can't express how much. Take care, tell everyone I said hi & I love them too!!
Aunt Lynn

Ronni Gordon said...

Hi Sandi,

I'm sorry to hear about the things you're going through. But it sounds like you are strong and have lots of support, and before you know it you'll be feeling better!

Caroline said...

You are a brave and beautiful soul...you are teaching all of us how to live! Hang in there!

Unknown said...

hi sweetie, i hope the tunnel vision and white out problems can be taken care of quickly.hopefully the drops they give you will keep your eyes moistened so, it will help with the problem.we all would do anything to take all the pain away.we all love you so much and wish you would not have any problems.lots of love aunt bonnie

laughing purple goldfish said...

hey sweetie... you left a comment on my blog, asking if I sell my accidental hats? well... the short answer is no... but I would love to send you one as a gift

I don't know if you have been reading my blog for long... but I lost my mum recently, as a result of leukemia... it would mean a lot to me if you would allow me to send you a hat

my email address is laughingpurple@aapt.net.au

I would need an address to send the hat to, and also need to know if I should avoid using particular yarns which you might be sensitive to

sending hugs - I know it's a struggle

sharon

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!