Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Friday, January 9, 2009

January 9, 2009

I am so excited to report over 40 people donated Blood yesterday at the Allen County Department of of Job & Family Services Blood Drive in my honor & a 5-year-old girl who was also diagnosed with AML approximately the same time frame as me in September pf 2008. I cannot thank my My Aunt Debe & all of her colleagues enough for their dedication & support that ensured this very coordinated effort with multiple agencies involved went so successfully. To everyone that donated Thank you so much, you truly have given the gift of life, to those of you who wanted to donate but could not for medical reasons your prayers & support are equally as important. Thank you all so much!

Here are today's labs:
Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
24 Dec-----113----3.3-------1400------7.3---------45----1 Unit of Blood
26 Dec-----115----32.5-----29600------8.8-----------70--------------N/A
29 Dec-----118----3.6-----1836------9.6-----------121--------------N/A
2 Jan-----122-----2.7-----1400------10.1-----------193--------------N/A
4 Jan-----124----4.4------2640------10.0-----------225--------------N/A
5 Jan-----125----2.9------1380-------9.9-----------214--------------N/A
6 Jan-----126----6.8------6100------10.1-----------203--------------N/A
8 Jan-----128----3.9------3800-------8.6-----------181--------------N/A
9 Jan---129-----3.9---3800------8.7-----------163--------------N/A

I have been on 2 continuous IV bags all week & last night the sever bloating finally caught up with me. I was in so much pain I could not sleep all night. No matter which way I tried to lay down I felt intense pressure. I thought it was too late to take any Lasix but in hind sight I didn't sleep a wink all night so I probably could have taken it. My night sweats have persistently gotten worse I wonder if it is because I am so full of fluid, who knows. I know they are trying to protect my kidneys but it is a rough process. I took the Lasix this morning, they have not weighed me all week since my admission so I am how much water weight they put on me this time. Today I have had a lot of weird side effects that they were concerned about. I got a real intense head & spine ache coupled with chest pains within the first 15 minutes if them administering my 5th dose of Chemo. The gave me 2 oxy's & had morphine on standby, they also flushed me with 40 Lasix & after about 30 minutes most of the pain was gone, but my body has been drained all day.

On a side note my new room mate is very nice, she is in here for uterine cancer. I wish I would have had her all week, it has been nice to have someone to talk to & that is respectful of the room.

My friend Paula Parker coming up to see me this morning. It was nice to get a visit even though I wasn't feeling to great. It has been such a long & boring week. Paula told me she wants to do a Mary Kay Spa Day & Tastefully Simple fundraiser for me in the future. With the economy at the moment, all of the local layoffs & friends of ours getting their hours cut I told her it might be better off to put that off for a little later on down the road.

I am a little nervous for Marc to come get me tonight because the weather is supposed to get real nasty later. I hope it is not so bad that he can't make it up I really want to go home tonight weather permitting. I haven't seen him or the kids all week & I miss them so much. Marc told me last night he is almost done painting the bathroom. He has been so busy all week & tonight he has our monthly Chapter MLMC meeting so I don't think he will be able to get any more done with the room until after I come home.

I have my discharge paperwork & I went down to Walgreen's & got 3 of my 4 new prescriptions filled. So as long as the Chemo starts on time there should be no delays tonight. So that's it for tonight I will try to update this weekend.

Benefit Scheduled for January 24, 2008
Many of you who know me may remember I used to be on the Board & the Treasurer for the London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls when Katie & Paige were in Rainbow. I was contacted by Mom Wendy Hall, Mother Advisor from The London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls & they are holding a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit for me on January 24th from 5:00 pm-7:00 pm at the Chandler Lodge located at 65 North Main Street, London Ohio. The Menu will be Spaghetti, sauce with meatballs, bread & butter, salad with dressing & a drink for $5.00. Desserts will be available for a donation & you can dine in or carryout is available. If you would like any information please contact Keith Hall @ 614-302-0431or airforcekeith@sbcglobal.net

5 comments:

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
Hopefully you'll be reading this at home resting comfortabley. Sorry to read you were having so much difficulty sleeping & so much pain. Praying the Lasix took away some of the bloating for you. I'm glad you got a better roommate and hope all went well with you getting discharged. I'm sure Marc & the kids missed you also. The weather here was really crappy so hopefully it didn't start for you guys until you made it home. Hope you have a good weekend at home resting in your new room. Tale care Bae, I love you.
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi honey, i had a big letter written to you this a.m. and it would not let me send. i am testing it out love,aunt bonnie

Aunt Lynn said...

Hey Sandi,
I've been checking for updates & hope that you had a good weekend. Praying you didn't get bad side effects from this round of chemo. Know that you're always in my thoughts & prayers. Take care Babe, I love you.
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi honey, i hope you are doing ok. rest and enjoy your new bedroom.hope the numbers have stabilized.love you very much.love, aunt bonnie

Unknown said...

hi honey, i hope you are doing ok. rest and enjoy your new bedroom.hope the numbers have stabilized.love you very much.love, aunt bonnie

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!