Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Friday, January 23, 2009

January 23, 2009

Here are today's labs
Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
12 Jan----132----0.7-------448-------9.5-----------117--------------N/A
15 Jan---135-----0.3------0-------7.9/9.4-----------35--1 Unit of Blood
19 Jan---139-----0.2------0----------8.2-------2/35-1 Unit of Platelets
20 Jan---140-----0.2------0----------7.7---------26----2 Units of Blood
21 Jan---141-----0.3------0----------9.5----------17----------------N/A
22 Jan---142-----0.7-----443---------9.0------13/43--1 Unit of Platelets
23 Jan--143-----1.8----1400---------8.5----------38----------------N/A

Benefit Scheduled for Tomorrow Saturday, January 24, 2008
Marcus & I used to be on the Advisory Board & I was also the Treasurer for the London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls when Katie & Paige were active in Rainbow. Mom Wendy Hall, Mother Advisor from The London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls contacted me a few months ago & expressed that they wanted to do this Spaghetti Dinner Benefit for me on January 24th from 5:00 pm-7:00 pm at the Chandler Lodge located at 65 North Main Street, London Ohio. The Menu will be Spaghetti, sauce with meatballs, bread & butter, salad with dressing & a drink for $5.00. Desserts will be available for a donation & you can dine in or carryout is available.It is my understanding that Kroger donated most of the food for this Benefit & National City has raised money as well. If you would like any information please contact Keith Hall @ 614-302-0431or airforcekeith@sbcglobal.net

I talked with Mom Wendy this morning I am so excited about the Benefit & yet I am so bummed I cannot be there in person. I will be there in spirit. Marcus & all the kids will be there but Brandon he has another wrestling tournament. He told me he would miss it if I wanted him to but I told him no the Benefit is only 2 hours the tournament is an all day event & he should go to that it would be more fun for him. I am making Marc take the video camera so I can see it & me & Brandon can watch it together later.
This is Aunt Bonnie & I before she left yesterday I miss her so much already!

Yesterday I was here all day with no tests performed. Carli was not here & I got a conflicting lab report from her replacement that said one of the cultures showed Strep but when they cultured it, it was negative. My RN that was treating me was in my face most of the morning doing my blood draws & meds. By lunch time she had a nasty little cough & did not put a mask on, I asked her to & she said it was just a little tickle in the back of her throat & she would never jeopardise her patients, I told Marc to get me a mask. She would come to my room without it on or it hanging on her chin more than once so I had to tell her about it. Well I have her again today & she still has that cough but she is wearing her mask all day.

Dr Flynn came in & asked where my Aunt was, he wanted to know if he made her upset talking about her niece, I told him yes, he said & you looked like you wanted to hit me & I told him I did he said you are not supposed to agree with me Sandi & I told him look I am really sick & I don't need that from him his supposed to treat me medically not make me his joke & that I was tired of it from him. He did not have much to say when I told him that hopefully he will be a little more respectful now & just do his job.

I had minimal sleep again last night, I sleep in 10-15 minute intervals & wake up throughout the night. Last night they came in & drew a viral specimen & sent it to the lab, the day shift is saying the lab never got it. Marcus was up here first thing again today. I am so grateful because today held so much pain & drama that I don't think I would be holding up as well as I am without him.

I am still receiving the same 3 antibiotics & fighting the fevers. Carli was back today YES! I told her the latest news flash I have diarrhea today so I could possibly have C-Dif or VRE or it could be from the antibiotics were not sure they cultured that. I also expressed to her all my concerns from the nurses not wearing masks & gloves to Dr. Flynn's arrogance with me, my missed appointments for tests from the nurses not paying attention to my orders, the fact that I have been here 5 days & no one knows what is wrong with me & I am still having these high grade fevers etc. Carli had already talked to the Charge nurse on this floor Wed & she went & talked to her again. Carli is trying to get me moved up to the 10th floor where they are used to really sick patients & they follow the precautions because they know how dangerous it is first hand. She is also ordering me a CAT Scan of the Chest & talking with Dr. Flynn because he has not ordered anymore tests & it appears he is no longer looking for what is wrong with me. Carli told me that every single Blood Culture they have done so far has come back negative. Obviously something is causing these fevers & they need to find out what that something is. So I should get to talk with her later this evening to see what she found out.

In the mean time I had a real rough afternoon today at the hospital. Dr. Flynn ordered my PICC to be removed & tested to see if it was the source of the infection. I did not realize how huge the line was. The specimen for the lab is 6 inches. So that left me with only the peripheral line they put in the other day & My 2 PICC lines have been continuously in use since Monday 24/7 with fluids & therapy drugs. Speaking of which I got 4 grams of magnesium today via IV. So the nurse that coughs got to take out my PICC, she has never done one from the arm before only the chest so they brought in the float nurse to watch her & make sure she does it right. She actually did pretty good except she got blood all over the bed because she did not have the specimen container close by.
.After that was done the float nurse had to put in 2 more peripheral IV lines. I really do have a hard time with needles. I tolerated the first one pretty good. He had a real hard time finding another good vein & when he did he could not get a good flashback so he looked around for another one & tried for a second time & could not get it, he dug only a little but it hurt so bad I was starting to tear up & he stopped. They are using the old peripheral line I got 3 days ago in the mean time. I am still going to have to get stuck daily every time they need labs drawn & since I only have 2 lines odds are they will be back to put the third one in. The only bad thing is these lines are only good for a few days & they have to be moved. The meds that I am getting are so powerful I hope they do not infiltrate or I will be in a lot more pain.

There really is no way around any of this. I just hated to lose my PICC as inconvenient as it was to have & I lost a lot of right arm strength over the past 5 months it has saved me hundreds if not a thousand needle sticks seriously.


So I got my CAT Scan done & hopefully Carli will have some good news for me later!

7 comments:

Aunt Lynn said...

Sandi,
It truely breaks my heart to see you have to endure all this. I keep praying to have your pain sent to me since I deal with so much on a daily basis already. I can't express in words how much it furiates me that those Dr's & nurses can't get their shit together but thank God for Carli! I am very happy to see that your ANC counts are coming back. Good luck to Brandon at his wrestling tournement and I'm sure the benefit will be a big success too. Stay strong & I love you.
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi honey, i am so mad .i can not believe what a Horrendous day.was it absolutely necessary to lose that pic line. was the dr. being an ass and just doing something since he did not do anything yesterday.he better be thankful i was not there today.hopefully they can get another pic line in.i hope it doesn't have to be in your chest.i am glad the numbers are starting to rise.now if the fever numbers will stay down we will have it made.i know today was painful, i pray tomorrow will be much better.i miss you very much.know you are always on my mine. i love you bunches.love, aunt bonnie

Grace/Betsey said...

Hi Sweetie!!! Man, what a suckie day you had yesterday!! I wish I could be there with you, beating the crap out of the Docs and crappy nurses!! But, for now, I have to love you from afar!!
Please call me with anything I can do!! YOU KNOW THAT!!
Love you,
Betz

Aunt Lynn said...

Morning Sandi,
I just wanted to check on you before going to work, ugh! Hope you had a better night. You sounded so much better on the phone yesterday, praying your numbers & strength continue to rise and the fever goes down. Hope you have a good day Sandi, I love you!
Aunt Lynn

Unknown said...

hi honey, hope your morning is going better today.i will be calling you a little later to check on you.i love you. love, aunt bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi!

Those nurses and doctors better watch out:) I sure hope they straighten up fast. I hope your pain goes away soon and they find out what is causing the fevers, etc... We are goingt to try to make the benefit tonight. I sent Keith a donation just in case we don't. Morgan has basketball. I am praying for you and praying that the doctors and nurses get it together soon.

Hugs
Paula

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is sheri and I work on the base. My mom was just diagnosed with AML on Jan 3rd. You have an awesome web site. I will be praying for you now too.
Please write or call me if you can. I have questions about your blood drive. Thanks,
Sheri
sherilien@earthlink.net
937-293-8901
www.caringbridge.org/visit/ bobbimaresca

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!