Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Monday, January 19, 2009

January 19 Update

Here are today's labs with the updated lab reports from OSU:
Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
8 Jan-----128----3.9------3800-------8.6-----------181--------------N/A
9 Jan-----129----3.9------3800-------8.7-----------163--------------N/A
12 Jan----132----0.7-------448-------9.5-----------117--------------N/A
15 Jan---135-----0.3------0------7.9/9.4---------35------1 Unit of Blood
19 Jan---139-----0.2------0------8.2-----2/35----1 Unit of Platelets

Sue my RN at Madison County called my Dr & after she gave me the Platelets she sent me to The Ohio State University Emergency Room per my Dr.s Orders. We got to OSU about 12pm. After multiple lab draws, a blood culture, urine sample, chest X-Ray, CAT Scan, EKG they decided to admit me. I knew this was going to happen because my Dr told me that was what she wanted, she was upset I did not call her last night when I first got the fever. Shortly after 9pm they finally got me into a room at the James, not on the 10th floor but they got me a private room on the 8th floor that has heat, Room 865 the room phone number is 614-293-5687, after the 9 hour ER experience this is why I did not come in last night. I sent Marc home after they got me settled into the room. They sent me back down to X-Ray again around 10:30 for a panoramic of my mouth. So far they are telling me that I have a neutrapenic fever, they do not know any specifics, there is talk that they are going to do a spinal tap tomorrow.For now they have me on 2 different extremely high dose antibiotics.

My temp has been holding between 102 & 103 between doses of acetometephin. That is the only thing that is working so far & it only works for about an hour if 2 & then it is right back up again.

My Dad was on his way down to the ER to see me from Lima & he put his car in the ditch on SR 117. He is in the process of having it towed to Bellefountine, he did not have a spare. Odds are he will not be able to get a new tire tonight but should be able to in the morning. The important thing is he wasn't hurt. I though the roads were clear but I guess there were a few nasty patches & he happened to hit one just right. He is going to come down & stay at the house with Marc & the kids for a few days while they figure out what is wrong with me.

Brandon had the Harry Steele Classic Wrestling tournament today in London, it was cancelled due to Weather last weekend.Brandon won one match & got a buy on another (forfeit) & he ended up losing the rest. Marc said every time he talked to him on the phone today he kept asking how I was doing. All the kids are real worried. Marc said Paige was crying at one point because someone told her at school if I get a fever I will die. So I told Marc to reassure them am I am fine. They have never seen me this sick. Katie looked scared when I left for the hospital but she did not say anything. I am glad we did Katie's Birthdays cake (Chocolate Snickers)& ice cream (Snickers) on Sunday. We also took them all out to the Asian Buffet which is Katie's favorite. Tomorrow the kids have a teacher COTA day or something like that so there is no school. Zack was upset because he could not spend the night with Misty due to plumbing issues & with me going back in the hospital on top of that today, is going to cause him some stress this week for sure.

The Benefit that the London Rainbow Girls Assembly are holding for me is this week, I hope that I am better by then so I can go.

Benefit Scheduled for January 24, 2008
Many of you who know me may remember I used to be on the Board & the Treasurer for the London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls when Katie & Paige were in Rainbow. I was contacted by Mom Wendy Hall, Mother Advisor from The London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls & they are holding a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit for me on January 24th from 5:00 pm-7:00 pm at the Chandler Lodge located at 65 North Main Street, London Ohio. The Menu will be Spaghetti, sauce with meatballs, bread & butter, salad with dressing & a drink for $5.00. Desserts will be available for a donation & you can dine in or carryout is available. If you would like any information please contact Keith Hall @ 614-302-0431or airforcekeith@sbcglobal.net

1 comment:

Aunt Lynn said...

Hi Sandi,
I'm very happy to see you updating the blog. I was very concerned when you didn't think you would have the energy to. Also, I'm glad to hear your Dad is ok. Cars can be fixed and that will be nice to have him around for a few days, Zack will have somone to attack...lol My heart goes out to the kids I'm sure it is very hard on them to watch you go through this. Like Millie said though focus on the healthy body you'll have after you recover from the chemo. I'm with your Dr too, quit waiting, when they say call if you get a fever you need to call them, they're telling you those things for a reason, so quit trying to be so tough. I mean I want you to be tough but you have to know when to let them step in too. Hopefully they'll give you the results of all those tests today or soon. Prayers are going out to you all, stay strong , I love you sandi.
Aunt Lynn

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!