Welcome to my Blog!

This was originally intended for those who have AML & stumbled across my blog in their search for information or survivors. I also used this to keep in touch with the real world, my support system was vital in my recovery and I also used it to sustain some form of sanity. I am a realist, and I have learned this has been and always will be a fight for my life. The initial leukemia battle is still here in the archives for all my fellow AML Warriors. There is so much information and no one wants to tell you. If you are just starting your treatment you may not even think to ask questions just because you are so sick. Please checkout my archives but start back in September 2008 and work your way towards today. There is a lot to read and a ton of type-o's, but it is all there the good the bad and the ugly. I challenged the Doc's, I always asked questions and pushed them for answers even if I did not like them. The Docs are not used to that so if you can, I encourage you to challenge them. They need to remember that although you are very sick you are not dead! My Blog content has morphed over the years. It's all about my life experiences, definitely my opinions and the lifelong impacts of the disease that pop up from time to time. I am a Gen Xer & I have a lot to say about everything. Rarely do I hold back or turn on a sensitivity sensor. I post regularly on Facebook nowadays just because it is faster. I welcome your comments, questions or feedback.





Thursday, January 8, 2009

January 8, 2009


Roll up your sleeves Blood Drive Today
For those of you in the Lima area today between 8:00am -2:30pm the Allen County Department of of Job & Family Services 1501 S. Dixie Hwy.Lima, OH 45804 (in the old Westinghouse building) is holding a Blood Drive in my honor. This is open to the public, walk-ins welcome. My Aunt Debe has been working real hard with her employer & they have made great strides ensuring this is a very coordinated effort with multiple agencies involved. Unfortunately I am still admitted at the James Cancer Hospital in Columbus finishing my 4th & hopefully final round of hospitalized Chemotherapy treatment however please know that I am there with you all in spirit!

Here are today's labs:
Date------Day----WBC----ANC--------Hgb--------PLT---- Transfusions
24 Dec-----113----3.3-------1400------7.3---------45----1 Unit of Blood
26 Dec-----115----32.5-----29600------8.8-----------70--------------N/A
29 Dec-----118----3.6-----1836------9.6-----------121--------------N/A
2 Jan-----122-----2.7-----1400------10.1-----------193--------------N/A
4 Jan-----124----4.4------2640------10.0-----------225--------------N/A
5 Jan-----125----2.9------1380-------9.9-----------214--------------N/A
6 Jan-----126----6.8------6100------10.1-----------203--------------N/A
7 Jan-----127-----4.8----4200-------9.3-----------171--------------N/A
8 Jan---128-----3.9---3800------8.6-----------181--------------N/A

I forced myself to get back on the treadmill again yesterday. It was a lot tougher than Monday. I stayed on it for 40 minutes walking most of the time but I did manage to get up to a decent jog intermittently. My muscles ached through out it, but not my bones which was interesting. I managed to go a little over 2 miles. I was tired after that I went back to my room & laid down sweaty & all. I didn't take a shower or change my bed until 9pm & it took all the strength I could muster to do that.

My roommate left last night around 11:30pm & I am supposed to be getting another new one around noon today. My favorite nurse practitioner Carlie is back today, she has been the most informative & up front with me throughout my hospitalizations. She is ensuring I have my new prescription for Neupogen Shots & a few others prior to my last does of Chemo tomorrow night so there will be no delays getting out of here. She also gave me a heads up that it looks like I will be getting my 5th Bone Marrow Biopsy as soon as my counts recover from my last set of consolidated chemotherapy treatments to ensure I am still in remission before we move on to the 3rd phase, Maintenance Decitabine treatments. This is a lower dose of Chemotherapy that will be treated in out patient. I will receive it 1 hour per day for 5 consecutive days with cycles repeated every 6 weeks for a total of 8 cycles (the total course of treatment is 42 weeks) My understanding is this treatment is what they give to a lot of the elderly patients that have the same type of cancer as me that cannot tolerate the high doses of Citerabine I have been going through. It all sounds very promising.

Well 2 more days & I am outta here, I can't wait the clock moves a little slower each day. I miss Marc & the kids so much. I told Marc not to come up this time because the kids need him at home.

Brandon competed in a wrestling meet at Miami Trace last night & won both of his matches in the 160lb weight class. All of the Christmas decorations I took down before coming back to the hospital Marc & Brandon stored them for me, I just need to get the actual tree & outdoor decor down when I get home & then it is all done. Seems like there was so much more space in the house afterwards. I love the decorations but it does tend to clutter things a little.

I brought the prayer blanket with me to the hospital that Betsy & her church made for me. It is really pretty & warm. All the knots around it each represent a prayer someone has prayed for me. Again thank you so much to everyone for your support.

Benefit Scheduled
Many of you who know me may remember I used to be on the Board & the Treasurer for the London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls when Katie & Paige were in Rainbow. I was contacted by Mom Wendy Hall, Mother Advisor from The London Assembly #208 Rainbow Girls & they are holding a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit for me on January 24th from 5:00 pm-7:00 pm at the Chandler Lodge located at 65 North Main Street, London Ohio. The Menu will be Spaghetti, sauce with meatballs, bread & butter, salad with dressing & a drink for $5.00. Desserts will be available for a donation & you can dine in or carryout is available. If you would like any information please contact Keith Hall @ 614-302-0431or airforcekeith@sbcglobal.net

1 comment:

Aunt Lynn said...

Hey Sandi,
Aunt Debe is on the phone with me now & she said that the blood drive today went very well. Just within the agencies they had over 40 donors...that is too awsome!! Plus there were plenty of walk ins too, Debe told me my friend Jill was the 1st one in line this morning, she is an awsome person too! Congrats to Brandon for winning his matches, hope he stays at 160 class. Hopefully your new roomate won't be as bad as the last. Don't wear yourself out on the treadmill and get some rest. I love you!!
Aunt Lynn

Sentimental Journey

2010 Family Pics

Moments in Time

Quotes

~~~~~~~
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body but, rather, to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOoHOo! What a ride!!"
~~~~~~~
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
~~~~~~~
Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wiser.
~~~~~~~
If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
~~~~~~~
Ask yourself: "What have I missed out on simply because I was too afraid of what others would think?"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I'd rather have 30 seconds of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They call me Rooster

They call me Rooster
& Leukemia did not snuff this one!